Poll: Can the design and subsequent style development of the GT86 become a classic?
I'm sure it can!
Maybe.
I'm afraid it can't.
[Show Results]

It started to get nasty:D
09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - It started to get nasty:D]

Hello friends,

I was wondering how long could the new hachi owners restrain themselves from going down the slammed deepdish routeBig Grin

Today, i want to talk a little bit about "style" regarding the new car (GT86). Not that it matters significantly, as an architect/designer/aesthetics lover, i think the new styling is okay. Its pretty agressive/sporty looking, clearly with the younger crowd (and the young spirit in all of us) in mind. It provokes the desirable feelings of wanting to get behind the wheel and drive in a spirited manner. So its safe. And understandabliy so, but can it become a classic?

This is what i think the new car lacks - class. See the whole concept of the car is almost a perfect classic material, something many of us have dreamed about the car industry would produce for many years. (dreams of a rwd DC2 anyone? Big Grin) But the styling - seems too fashionable. Sure, let us see how it will hold out throughout the years.

One of the great feats of successfull design(styling) is its intrinsic quality that can be expressed in many different ways. Going for a cruise on a sunny automn sunday morning, driving up to the opera house with your lady in your evening garments, making a race car or even a rally car out of it etc.. Some cars looked awesome anywhere (yes past tense, there is increassingly less cars/objects like that).

For instance, i have a hard time picturing a GT86 rally car. Somehow the styling looks more street-racy or tarmacy or as the above picture portrays, we can see that hardcore "jdm" style feels right at home with the new linesBig Grin

So i want to hear your opinions and predictions on the new design and imminent style developments. How will the new hachi hold up? I have no doubts that it will indeed become a "mini-classic" just for its performance, concept and afordability ballance. But can the design follow?

Best regards to all of you lovely people!
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Here's guessing it will never sell in big enough numbers and be as approachable as the original ae86. It's just too overpriced for that in NL.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I want one.... badly

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
What can I say more, then add more pics of mr Kei Miura's work

I will have one, sooner or later.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
09-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:[Image: AEU86 AE86 - It started to get nasty:D]

Huh

Confused

Banging head

butt ugly...

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
09-25-2012, 11:51 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:Huh

Confused

Banging head

butt ugly...

X2, i don't like this tuning thing. I like it with the TRD kit, the standard version too (except her wheels)

09-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I think the car has a "decent" price. Not sure if the old hachi was any cheaper comperatively, but to get a true rwd sports car like that for a bit over 30k eur is pretty good. (How much is it in holland anyway?) The 1 series bimmer is that much with a 1.6 engine. If you look at it that wayBig Grin

Sure Megane RS or Focus or even Clio might be faster machines for less - but hopefully the market will slowly start to realise there is more to cars than just figures. It is similar to what is happening with digital cameras and the megapixel race.

Hopefully toyota has calculated this well enough to sell enough. The 2nd hand market will much richer with this in the line up.

I do realise it is a safer bet to put out something which is in trend and fashionable, but i still hoped for an even purer concept, even simpler design, maybe a starter of a new eraBig Grin
09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
In NL its starting from €39.990.
Im affraid it wont become a classic icon as the ae86 is, but I sure hope it will be.
09-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Apolan Wrote:(How much is it in holland anyway?) The 1 series bimmer is that much with a 1.6 engine. If you look at it that wayBig Grin

39.990 euros.. that same Bimmer 1 costs about 27.400 over here.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
In my opinion it won't become a classic neither will any other car produced these days... life cycle today are simply too short.

regarding prices in Switzerland it shy over 42k CHF (~34.5k€) unfortunately for less than 2k€ more you can get the brand new Subaru WRX Sti...

What really annoys me is Toyotas price management worldwide.
I was looking into prices lately as I will get another car next year once I left Sudan for good.
I won't get into details of my requirements etc but consider this: a GT86 is minimum 50% more expensive almost everywhere compared to the US and Dubai. Far worse in my opinion you can buy 2 (yes two) IS-F in the US or Dubai brand new for the same price you get 1 (only one) in Switzerland (rest of Europe is slightly cheaper but still way overpriced). Same goes for the Lexus LS series and others. Angry

PS: hell if you don't need new you can get an IS-F in the US for less than 30k$ if you shop around.

AE86 ex-daily

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to get a Trueno splitter?! pack 9 7,838 08-01-2012 01:59 PM
Last Post: pack
  is it possible to get new outer 1/4s for a two door hachi ? adamsaiyad 1 3,498 02-09-2011 10:36 PM
Last Post: adamsaiyad
  I started something hachirokuGTV 2 3,655 11-28-2009 01:12 AM
Last Post: banpei
  AEU86 babyboom has started Jan Pedersen 51 36,565 06-18-2007 10:38 PM
Last Post: Jan Pedersen
  Frontlip - Where to get? AshCampbell 9 8,162 02-26-2007 10:03 AM
Last Post: Spitfire