Is there a visible way o practical way to know yo have LSD??
07-30-2007, 04:34 AM
The rear axle says LSD, but how do I know if it is still inside???

Regards Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Jack up the car so both rear wheels are off the ground and put the car in neutral.

Turn one of the wheels by hand. If the other wheel turns the other way, you don't have LSD or its broken. If they both turn in the same direction, you probably do.

Owh and I'm moving this to technicalSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Or check if you have a sticker with big red writing LSD on it. My one has Smile

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-30-2007, 09:32 AM
El Camino,

Anyone can put a sticker onSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

07-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Here it is Wave

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is there a visible way o pr...have LSD??]

P.S. It's my fold - i "broke it" when was cleaning it to discover whats the writing. I still remember the feeling - it was like discovering parts from atlantis - the lost continent Evil

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
07-30-2007, 10:30 AM
el camino,

yes I know the sticker, I've seen it before, but not every axle that has an LSD has the sticker. And once or twice some joker puts the sticker on a open diff axle, or puts an open diff in an LSD axle after the LSD brakes.

So I never trust stickers.

(I also have an LSD sticker on the diff housing of my FC, but the model FC I have was rarely sold with LSD. I need to take it appart some day, if it indeed has LSD I am very lucky because it was the only FC model to come with clutch diff instead of viscous diff Smile )

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Of course it was ment in a funny way Mux. I dont believe there are many stickers left after 24 years on the road.

On the other handside tests like lifting the wheel and expecting it to not to rotate, because of LSD are not serious. My one turns the wheels as it likes, when lifted, but when I put one wheel on the tarmak and the other on gras, both of them are always leaving tracks with equal length. There is no doubt in this case about LSD and if it is locking good.

P.S. Wish you luck with your FC Hurray!

07-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Look for the transmission and axle code on the vin.
It will be something like (S or T just in front of this number) xx3/T50

The first number is the transmission code (should be T50) and the 2nd number is the axle code. Only the last digit is the one you should be looking for:
2 or 4 = no LSD (AE85 & SR5)
3 or 5 = LSD (AE86 and GTS)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is there a visible way o pr...have LSD??]
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Mux213 Wrote:Jack up the car so both rear wheels are off the ground and put the car in neutral.

Turn one of the wheels by hand. If the other wheel turns the other way, you don't have LSD or its broken. If they both turn in the same direction, you probably do.

Owh and I'm moving this to technicalSmile

I think it is broken, is it a good idea to repair it, or just buy a new one, how much is it to repair it, Tongue

Thanks
07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Sqonzalez,

Replacing gives you the option to go with an aftermarket 2 way diff, expensive but if you're serious about going to track with your car, worth the money.

If you want to keep the stock unit you're probably best off rebuilding the stock diff. Its not to hard to do and a rebuild kit, provided the diff isn't completely f'ed, isn't expensive (150$ ish).

The problem in both cases is installing the diff, you'll need to properly setup the ring and pinion gear and thats a job not everyone can do, certainly not something you want to do if you've never done it before.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust has white smoke coming out and I dont know why... mister86 3 3,935 01-19-2020 12:06 AM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Help needed: is it 1 way or 1.5way LSD Dino86 2 3,271 05-17-2019 09:08 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Tomei 16V poncams + Tomei technical trax 1.5 way LSD Lt86 22 17,625 09-16-2016 09:56 PM
Last Post: Alex170984
  Anyone know what this plug does? Super86 3 5,610 08-01-2016 03:57 PM
Last Post: Nakilad
  How would/have you rebuild your 4age? joaotcgt 6 8,418 07-21-2015 10:40 AM
Last Post: mad.matt