Im from Africa, wanting to buy Ae86 which one ?
01-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi there Guys. My names Adam Saiyad.
Im from Africa i currently live in Zimbabwe... yes thats right Zimbabwe.
Any ways i currently own a Subaru Wrx Type-R Sti 1997
And a Nissan Skyline Gtr Vspec II Nur.
I want to sell my subaru for a Ae86 yes believe it or not i want a Old Retro Car that is simply Amazing.
Strong Engine Easy to fix and a car that can take you down a touge quicker then you can blink.
So now the magical questions appear...
I need to know as much as i can about these cars.
There are so many models around Hatch back and Two doors ?
Gt, Gts, Gtv, GT Apex ?? what do they all mean ?
Which model has nice creature comforts inside like nice seats etc?
What should i watch out for ?
Do they rust alot in certain areas.
This will be a one of a kind car in my country and im just excited to say the least.
I do my home work thoroughly before i get anything.
Are the Flip up lights better then the fixed ones ?
Did certain revisions have better brakes ??
These are all the questions i have.
I will be ordering it from Japan and i really dont know Model Specifics
Hope to hear from you all soon.
And look forward to becoming a Part of the Ae86 Cult Smile
Find all posts by this user
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Buy whichever you find! Big Grin Big Grin

Wellcome man.

I m not sure what the names were like in africa, but I guess its the GTS you are looking for.

It must have diskbrakes in the rear. If there are disks brakes there is probably an LSD. Under the hood there must be a 4AGE ENGINE

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Im from Africa, wanting to ...hich one ?] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I know i can buy which ever one sure .
But though i dont know about Tell tale signs like the disc brakes and Ls Diff?
And also i know of the 4Age engine being a must.
I will be buying the car from Japan wont be from africa as they were never sold here. Sadly.
But never the less anyone else have some info or a link that can take me through all the Years ?
kind of how like on the different toyota starlets things changed on the interior and also on the lights thats what im looking for ?
Isnt it so that Flip up lights are harder to fix ?
and getting a car with Fixed headlights willl be easier to repair if i have a kiss with something while im Drifting ?
Thanks again All
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Just search for a Kouki. That is from 1985 to 1987.

Stonger diff parts on this one...

Search the forum and you ll find everything you need.

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Im from Africa, wanting to ...hich one ?] http://www.jdmbits.com
01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey Adam

Welcome to the forum!
I thought, all ae86 which didnt pass our vehicle expertation because of a bit of rust, went down to africa to use it for many more years. Didnt u find any ae86 around your Area?
I think u should decide for yourself, whichone u choose, whether the levin or trueno if you take it from Japan. We dont have any official truenos here in Europe. Same in US as far i know, they dont have any levins. But in Japan are both of them.
If they got no discbreak at the rear, its an SR5 with the 8v 4a engine and no lsd.
PM miguel newera from this forum for further informations about Japanese Specs. He's very kind and helpfull and imports cars to US, UK and other countries. Im sure he could help you.

Good desicion to search for an ae86. Better now then never! And its just pure fun to ride it...! Thumbs up!

Cheers
01-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi there, sadly the Ae86 that was rusting didnt come here to Africa.
Instead we have a four door version thats a front wheel drive Toyota Avante .
I need more info related to things like stronger Diff on the 1986 or 1987 cars are much stronger ?
What other information is there ?
thanks
Adam
01-28-2009, 02:30 AM
SR5 and GTS are american trim,

SR5 = AE85 and GTS = AE86

GT, GTV, APEX are Japan AE86, different versions.

Corolla GT, Corolla GTI, Coupe GTI-16V, Coupe GT, TwinCam 16V and all like that are European AE86.

Don't know about european AE85.

Buy anything that is AE86, pretty much all the same.
01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Uzelac Wrote:SR5 and GTS are american trim,

SR5 = AE85 and GTS = AE86

SR5 is still an AE86. AE85s were only sold in Japan and came with the 1500cc SOHC 3AU engine. Don't buy an AE85 if you plan on staying true to the 4age.

Current Cars:
'86 SE82 FX GT
'88 NZ New KE70 Van (Daily)
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome! Wave

It depends on what you expect from the car. For instance: European GT Twincam is about the same spec as the US GT-S and the Japanese GT/GT-V (2 door/3 door) so they lack luxury in stock form. Optional in US and Japan were aircon and powersteering while the European GT Twincam lack that as well.

Japanese spec GT Apex does almost always have powersteering and a lot of them have aircon as well. GT/GT-V/GT Apex all feature the 4AGE engine and have the stock LSD. All European GT Twincam spec cars have the 4AGE engine.

Any lower spec than the Japanese GT/GT-V/GT Apex should be an AE85 which, as NZ Trueno says, have the 3AU engine, drumbrakes and no LSD. They also lack the AE86 seats which are quite nice bucket like seats, while the AE85 just has normal seats.

Also in Europe (Switzerland) and the US there were the SR5 trims which have the 4A-C engine, drumbrakes and no LSD. The US SR5 did have a lot of luxury as option, like aircon, sunroof and powersteering.

Levin or Trueno is mostly a choice of taste and does not make much difference in repairs... The Levin front may look sturdier however the Trueno parts are easier to find on the aftermarket: US aftermarket parts are plenty to find. Wink

So there is a lot to choose from... But since you're already driving on the left it would be best to import a car from Japan instead of Europe. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Im from Africa, wanting to ...hich one ?]
01-28-2009, 11:56 PM
We have 2 x AE86's in stock in Japan which are available for shipping to Durban. You'd struggle to find better examples than either of these anywhere else and as people will tell you on here, we know our AE86's Thumbs up!

When you're ready and have decided what you like - Click the website below and see the 2 examples on the stock list. If interested, contact us via the website: http://www.neweraimports.com

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New owner from South Africa MIGGZFSU 11 10,203 03-05-2017 08:51 PM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  New to AE86's... looking to buy my first project BlackLabelIbanez 4 4,730 09-26-2006 10:45 AM
Last Post: banpei
  One more Swedish AE86 fan! Nisse977 7 6,048 08-28-2005 11:25 AM
Last Post: Nisse977