I'm back!
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm back!
Yup, I haven't been on the boards for a while since I couldn't find my dream 86, and I was busy with a lot of things.

But all things are going to change, since I am moving to the USA! Home of the SR5's and GT-S hatchbacks! I can finally get a hatch, and build it up in the time I can't work. I have guessed I'll spend around 7000 dollars getting it the way I want, with the help of an import racing team (who mainly work on 300zx's, but that doesn't matter much).

And the best deal of all: RWD, over 100bhp, and a DECENT mileage... Our 05 mustang GT is nice and all, but 24mpg on the highway and “I don’t want to talk about it” in the city isn’t all that.

My plan: Erect a panda or silver metallic ae86 hatch to be my daily driver.

Justice to All
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm back!
heya mate,

wb, sounds like an adventureBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm back!
Yes, it is an adventure. Starting life over in another country. Clean slate and everything...

But it's difficult too since I'll be leaving my parents, brothers, family and friends behind. I am wondering how I'll take it... Undecided

Justice to All
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm back!
well I can't say I know how you feel, allthough someday I may make a similar move..

still my wife knows exactly how you feel, and its not always been easy

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm back!
JTA Wrote:Yes, it is an adventure. Starting life over in another country. Clean slate and everything...

But it's difficult too since I'll be leaving my parents, brothers, family and friends behind. I am wondering how I'll take it... Undecided

Takes all of about 1 month to forget them and get on with life..seriously..The hardest part is in the few moments that things don't go to well and you don't have anyone yet to talk to...but thats why we have skype now, so no prob usually.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm back!
Do you have experience with that sort of thing "NoHachi"? Yeah, the worst thing for me is not being able to work for at least 5 months. I need to have something to do in that time, to keep your mind occupied. Sit still and you’ll think about home, and I thing that could make me go crazy.

Yup, I am guessing building up a AE86 Hatch would be perfect to remedy that.

And since it will be a budget thing it will remain standard. Turbo's or Superchargers have to wait.

Justice to All
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm back!
Hi JTA..I spent some time in Japan and will probably be moving over there later this year..so I do have some experience..

Keeping your mind occupied at such a time is not so difficult..new country, new people, plenty to discover. I would be doubtfull of buying a project car immediately though..it will suck up your money..money that you'll be needing to go to (sports)clubs, bars, events, cafe's , restaurants etc etc while you try to find out which people you like and what your new hobbies will be. I would rather buy a good running car and start participating in events where you'll meet people that can help you out later on.

So to sum things up: sitting still is not a problem..sitting still by yourself could be..invest in people, not cars.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm back!
JTA, where in the US are you moving?

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

http://www.club4ac.com
slowest AE86 club on the net Smile
08-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm back!
@NoHachi: Ah, so it seems you have some experience. I already have friends in the states that are working on 300zx's for their racing team. So building up an ae86 will be a bonding experience I am sure.

I'll take it to the track to do some autocross courses. I doubt an ae86 would do well in a quarter mile in it's standard form, since you'd need around 200 horse to get a decent low 14, high 13 time out of it. I think it would do well in autocross though. Small, nimble and light.

@surfingdrums: I’ll be residing in Plano, that’s around the Dallas area in Texas.

Now that I think of it: Never seen an hachi hatch there… maybe I wasn’t looking hard enough, but I am starting to think they are pretty rare… Fine by me, I want a car that sticks out. And not because of a fart can. I want a decent exhaust... Banging head

I hope I can get my hands on a Texas one, since cars don’t rust much in Texas if you maintain them well. Paint will be baked off your ride, but stripping and spraying a car is a lot easier than stripping, finding a lot of rust, fixing the rust, and then spray it. I also want it to have AC, since Texas is to hot to handle in the summer.

Justice to All

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bakwoods back from the dead Bakwoods 5 5,011 12-01-2011 06:34 PM
Last Post: cannabolic
  Guess what... back again! JTA 4 4,344 06-08-2007 12:10 AM
Last Post: JTA