I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant
12-05-2019, 05:40 PM
(12-05-2019 06:09 AM)Bean Wrote:  Could you flip it back to front and add the long hole at the other end?

If you noticed... one end has a slot for the cooling, while the other doesn't.   If we were to open up the cooling slot at the other end it would change how the cooling flow is routed.  It might not matter, but then it might.  

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant]

more to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Hello Buddy,

I randomly googled our company name and this thread came up.

Thanks for all the shout outs and thanking my wife publicly on the translations. It will make her feel appreciated. Smile

Take Care,
Robert

Best Regards, Robert Crosbie
EtsuRyu LLC
Satsumasendai-shi
Kagoshima Ken, Japan
895-0061
[email protected]
http://www.etsuryu.com
Japan Certificate # 961110040385
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-24-2019, 07:42 PM
(12-10-2019 08:29 AM)EP Importers Wrote:  Hello Buddy,

I randomly googled our company name and this thread came up.

Thanks for all the shout outs and thanking my wife publicly on the translations. It will make her feel appreciated. Smile

Take Care,
Robert

I expect I'll be needing more translations... Angel

oldeskewltoy Wrote:Catching this now saves me time... money... and anger issues later.

Facepalm

not sure what the issue is.........

first they sent me this.... (both sides of same gasket) both ends of the gasket are open for coolant passage.....

so I sent Cometic the above explaining they had to close one end.

I even sent them BACK the gasket they didn't make..... hoping that they would get it right.....

they responded and sent me this yesterday....(top 2 scans of 3 panel)

As you can see, they closed up one end, but the scan shows the gasket I already have.... NOT the one I need.

So I made... what I hope to be.... a more concise photo showing what I need

I am SOOOOO glad I caught this now....

more to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

12-31-2019, 01:21 AM
So... while I wait to see if Cometic got it right this time....

Let's see if we have any really smart people in here.... can anyone tell me what we are doing... and why it is important...... Cool

Anyone...???

Dan -

12-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Protractor to set properly the angle on the new push rod "guide" ?
(Push rod stuff are totally uncommon here so I have no idea)

On a side note, clamping that cast piece directly on the vice make me cringe. I hope they are soft jaw.
I would have gone with a 1 2 3 block and strap clamps, or better, an aluminium block with tapped hole matching the one on the part (even for a "one time" job it would make sense since you have 4 of them)
12-31-2019, 06:57 PM
(12-31-2019 12:25 PM)Project D Wrote:  Protractor to set properly the angle on the new push rod "guide" ?
(Push rod stuff are totally uncommon here so I have no idea)

On a side note, clamping that cast piece directly on the vice make me cringe. I hope they are soft jaw.
I would have gone with a 1 2 3 block and strap clamps, or better, an aluminium block with tapped hole matching the one on the part (even for a "one time" job it would make sense since you have 4 of them)

The vice is only holding the lifter bore housing so we could insert the bar stock into the lifter bores so we could measure "lifter bank angle".

Without knowing the lifter bank angle we can not hope to learn the camshaft lobe center lines.

Why do we need to know that?? I'm changing the whole engine, all the specs I found show peak power occurring @ about 4400 rpm, additionally it originally was designed for use in their top of the line limo - so smooth operation/idle was important. I'm changing all of that, I'm hoping to push peak power rpm to about 5600(redline @ 6000), and to introduce a small amount of lope at idle Wink

Sooo... the camshaft centerline is now the focus, for a smooth idle, and low rpm peak power, the likely centerline is around 116 to 118, maybe even higher, but to attain my goal, the likely centerline is closer to 110-112.

more to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

01-01-2020, 01:10 AM
(12-31-2019 06:57 PM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  The vice is only holding the lifter bore housing so we could insert the bar stock into the lifter bores so we could measure "lifter bank angle".

You mean lobe separation, right ?
Centerlines can be measured without knowing the lobe separation (a dial indicator on the lifter and a degree wheel, like any other engine really), however lobe separation is critical to design a proper camshaft for the engine.
01-02-2020, 02:32 AM
(01-01-2020 01:10 AM)Project D Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 06:57 PM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  The vice is only holding the lifter bore housing so we could insert the bar stock into the lifter bores so we could measure "lifter bank angle".

You mean lobe separation, right ?
Centerlines can be measured without knowing the lobe separation (a dial indicator on the lifter and a degree wheel, like any other engine really), however lobe separation is critical to design a proper camshaft for the engine.

The engine is no longer assembled - there is no way of doing it that way without re-assembly

So we need to know the lifter bank angle so we know where the cam maker placed the lobe centers - in relation to where the lifters are placed.

Let me try to explain it another way.... The 5V-EU was their limo engine. It's peak power was @ 4400 rpm(via reported specifications), additionally it is fair to assume... that the engine was designed for a very smooth idle. To achieve this it is likely that Toyota built the 5V-EU cam to have their centerlines rather high to favor smooth idle and low rpm peak power. We believe as high as 116, or 118, possibly even higher. If I want to build an engine that makes its peak power another 1200-1500 rpm later in the powerband, and introduce a bit of lope, I would change cam timing and move it lower, to about 108, maybe 110 for lobe centers. Until we know where in relation to TDC the cam goes through its motion we can't hope to change the powerband.

Dan -

01-09-2020, 07:21 PM
(01-01-2020 01:10 AM)Project D Wrote:  however lobe separation is critical to design a proper camshaft for the engine.

I agree entirely....

as I'm not as experienced on pushrod V8s.... and as I understand it....

both intake, and exhaust lobes are on a single camshaft, the lobe separation angle can be measured, what we can't measure yet is where in the cams rotation does it encounter the lifters for each bank.

By jove, I think they got it.......

more to come... Hurray!

Dan -

01-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Hello! I'm also going to put a 5V-EU in one of my cars. Useful information, the flywheel almost completely fits the 1S-U from the SX70 from the W55 box. You only need to shift the mounting holes, and grind the plane adjacent to the crankshaft by 2-3mm. As well as the flywheel housing from the S series of engines almost coincides with 3 holes. Tell me, will you leave the native injection system? Do you have the Pinout of the connectors to connect it?
https://www.drive2.ru/l/549970769484972281/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bought a Ae86 and super scared cause of rust can any one hel adamsaiyad 19 19,560 12-02-2009 02:29 AM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  Bought a Hachi today XLarge 27 31,322 09-08-2005 10:06 AM
Last Post: PetzK