How to restore my bumpers to former glory?
10-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi!

Because my car has changed hands many times before it got to me, the bomper hve gotten red from the original black-plastic-unclored..

as i want to make the car to look stock, i would like to "scrub" the paint off the bumpers, make them black again.. maybe paint the top in color and leave oly the bottom black.

But i dont know how to recondition them? Should i sand-blast them or what? And i dont want them to be smooth and shiny black, so i would like not to color them, or i dunno use black- very mat color?

please do advise.

tnx,s.
Find all posts by this user
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
At least some industrial paints are available in different levels of glossiness so you could choose a semi-gloss black paint as a base. You'll probably need to add a bit of elasticity additive to it to keep the paint from flaking if the bumper gets bent or hit. Finally, some paint manufacturers have a "texturizer" additive which causes the paint to cure with an uneven surface, much like what the original plastic molded surface looked like. I think this would result in a surface that's pretty close to stock as you can get by painting.

At least Spies-Hecker has this additive which is being advertised for repairing bumpers, etc. They also have an elastic additive which is probably a good idea to use on a bumper. I've been using Tikkurila paints and they have similar products available - however, they're a finnish manufacturer so their paints may not be as commonly available.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanx, for the info, hopefully they'll have something similar here..

Still the question remains, how do i get the paint and the kit off? My rear bumper started cracking, and big thick chunks of kit and paint are falling off. I really dont wanna die sanding off this thick layer of kit, could i sand-blast the paint off? or use some (di)solvant that would not disolve the bumper? And also what should i use for primer on the bumpers, so the new paint sticks well?
11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I believe brake fluid does wonders for stripping paint without damaging plastic parts (like thinner would). Just use a testspot somewhere inconspicous and give it a go... I use it on models some times.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
brake fluid huh thats a great tip

i know they have this stuff for black trims
its call BACK TO BLACK
that might work on the bumpers

Max

[email protected]
11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
thanx for the tips guys, i'll give it a go, see what ill find.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Some information for those who are about to restore their differential krullibull 0 3,035 06-06-2015 12:44 AM
Last Post: krullibull
  show me your front bumpers!! and identify mine koh 7 5,985 04-08-2008 01:48 AM
Last Post: koh
  How to remove my bumpers James 9 11,794 10-30-2005 05:39 PM
Last Post: Mux213