How to install seat harness
02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
The rear seats of what exactly? Thought you didnt have a car?
But seriously though, harnesses can be dangerous if the upper belts are mounted at the wrong angle. In case of an accident your own weight will be pushing the harness forwards, and it will press down on your shoulders, compressing your spine.

Furthermore, they are not comfortable or convenient for a daily driven car (like one you would transport your friends in). Quite a hassle to get in and out of them fast, and pointless when used wrong.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2007, 12:25 AM
yeah. been reading about the "good" position of a seat harness in some forums now...

Not good to install too low, nor too high. Best position is JUST below the holes of the seats. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck.

Pedro Velado
GT-S Owner

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - How to install seat harness]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2007, 02:24 AM
i usually use a "not more than 10 degrees angle" rule when i mount harnesses like that.

I dont know if any of you have access to something like this. But i've got a motorsport manual that i consult often for these cind of things. Smile

Kp62 - 135hp
Ae86 - 135hp
C32 Laurel - 440hp
C32 Laurel - 125hp

Find all posts by this user
02-08-2007, 04:36 AM
A lot depends on the type of harness you have. For instance I was looking at a Schroth harness because it has passed US DOT regulations for street use if mounted properly. The angle of the harness depends on the harness type, I would go back to the manufacture and ask what they suggest. As you can see below, for that particular harness they don't suggest anything more than 45 degrees, however in a different section of their site for a NASCAR style harness they suggested only 10 degrees.

"The Rallye 3 is the choice restraint for anyone who's car will not work with a Rallye 4. This would be the case if your rear seat was too close to the front seats for optimum geometry. In any harness, you absolutely do not want to have a tailstrap that angles down more than 45 degrees from a line parallel to the ground. Past this angle, the shoulder belts will not work the way they are designed to. In some cases, the Rallye 3 will offer the right solution."

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/streetlegal/1576
http://www.schrothracing.com/info/9
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Ivan141 Wrote:The rear seats of what exactly? Thought you didnt have a car?

True.

Im just very interested and want to know enough about what im going to do to my Trueno before i buy one. My brother bought a Peugeot 106 and had no idea of what to do and ended up buying the cheapest wheels that would fit and 'universal' exhausts that would not fit, etc.

02-08-2007, 01:41 PM
dude, ae86 is nothing like peugeot 106. With the hachiroku you'll need alot of energy to make it a good car, so updating the rusty old chasis, worn out suspensions and tired motor will be the first on the list... way before you'll want to consider any 4/5 point seatbelt harnesses...

My advice for you is, read through the projects section, so youll get a basic idea about what owning a hachi means and the sacrifices it takes. Unless you're a rich little kid that can afford a fully restored hachiroku.
02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Apolan Wrote:Unless you're a rich little kid that can afford a fully restored hachiroku.

I WISH!

Thanks, ill look throught the projects.

02-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Anyone know a site for hachi engines? Google was no help.

02-11-2007, 01:24 AM
http://osakajdmmotors.com/codes/toyota.htm
These guys have silvertops, if that's your thing. They offer clips as well, i guess you can always write to them with your engine of preference and they will tell you how to get it. What kind of engine do you need and do you feel posting such questions in different topics, like let's say in General... No clue how that's related to harnesses is what i mean...
02-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Ivan141 Wrote:The rear seats of what exactly? Thought you didnt have a car?
But seriously though, harnesses can be dangerous if the upper belts are mounted at the wrong angle. In case of an accident your own weight will be pushing the harness forwards, and it will press down on your shoulders, compressing your spine.

Furthermore, they are not comfortable or convenient for a daily driven car (like one you would transport your friends in). Quite a hassle to get in and out of them fast, and pointless when used wrong.
Thumbs up! well put... Thumbs up!

Also- 10-15 deg. angle is the way to do it... Certainly not 45 or more...
Bare in mind that the strut bar on the rear is not mounted as on the front (99% of them is not) but on some kind of welded plates that are usuali up to 2mm tops... So Actualy the bar is not carying the load in the crash, but that 2mm of metal are... And thnik what is happening to the rear strut in the crash... Wink Common sence... So either the cage, good mounted rear strut... done proper... if not, you are better of with the stock harnes...

SNO-MO-BIRU project started- CHIRO

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bucket seat prices gh0st 5 2,055 01-23-2022 11:44 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,713 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rear Seat Belt Question sleepercivic 5 9,144 06-29-2017 09:30 PM
Last Post: banpei
  CD player install. kazi 8 8,099 02-21-2017 11:57 AM
Last Post: banpei