How to improove oem WHEEL ALIGNMENT settings (toe&caster
03-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Toe-out produce slightly less frisky behaviour. Its toe-in that you are thinking of. It all happens at turn in Apolan . The wheel where the weight is shifted to in the initial stages is already turned into the corner a bit (mostly means the sidewall carcas is preloaded in the right direction. The wheel where the weight is shifted from is turned in the opposite direction. In straightline driving these forces balance eachother out and chew away at the tire. As soon as you load one tire and reduce load on the other you get a force though, and its pointed to the inside of the corner. There is no difference mid-corner when the tire is fully loaded and deformed..

Tires tend to toe-out under big forces (braking) due to bushing flex. That is why most std cars have a tiny bit of toe in dialed in. To compensate for this flex and set the tires straight. The stiffer the bushing, the less toe is required.

Caster is a different story. It adds straightline stability and also adds a touch of dynamic camber (added camber as the suspension is loaded). There is also some kind of weird weight jacking effect going on that I don't fully understand myself. Will try to read through the chapter in Milliken again and see if it makes sense to me this time.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
great information as expected Thumbs up! So what does increasing caster mean in corners? More responsive steering/more grip in front?
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
In terms of driving it means that you'll have heavier steering wheel on straightline. It also means that it will be easier to countersteer in case of oversteer...(the steering wheel tends to self-countersteer!).Dunno what exactly means in terms of grip really, and I'm really bored right now to read Milliken, so NoHachi please read and inform us! Thumbs up!

JapanPower

UoP Racing website
UoP Racing videos

Racing, because football, basketball, tennis & golf only require ONE ball....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torque settings kazi 4 5,529 03-28-2017 12:15 AM
Last Post: kazi
  Lower arm hits toe arm on lock... fullybuiltmiata 12 12,155 01-14-2016 11:52 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  What is normal and low caster in Cusco camber plates?? T_AE86 9 14,202 01-07-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  alignment issues after re-install of coilovers NBU 21 17,204 08-03-2013 06:18 AM
Last Post: allencr
  Street wheel alignment. Aram 11 10,867 03-31-2013 04:24 PM
Last Post: Aram