Helical type LSD...
02-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Helical type LSD...
This discussion also takes place at club4ag, but I think its very important to talk about it here also.

Few days ago appeared @ ebay.com an OBX helical type LSD for Kouki AE86.

This Torsen Type LSD uses gears instead of disks and therefore (theoritically) there is no need for service, as gears dont "fade".

It is also considered to be the best possible type of LSD.

Among all these, this particullar OBX LSD is pretty cheap at 450 dollars new.

Only clue we have is the OBX headers, pretty well made as my friend that uses one tells me.
In the other hand, the LSD isnt an option at OBX's official site.

Here is the links, texts and pics, feel free to comment Smile

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-JDM-H...enameZWDVW

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Helical type LSD...]

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Helical type LSD...] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Helical type LSD...
I recognise the seller on ebay..he also sells OBX headers. Those where also not on the OBX website.

I have never driven a car with torsen LSD so I wouldnt know if it's good, but I think it's not that simple. All the jap tuner LSD's are clutch type diffs. Probably because those are better suited for drifters, but there might be other reasons.
What are your experiences with torsen diffs? You've probably driven a few cars equiped with those (subaru perhaps?).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Helical type LSD...
First cars that come in my mind with Torsen diff is the S2000 and the Lexus IS200.

I loved them both...

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Helical type LSD...] http://www.jdmbits.com
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Helical type LSD...
I've done a bit of googling...it seems the torsen is very nice for road racing purposes...so slalom/auto-x lovers would probably like this diff. Too bad it's only for kouki axles.
The downside to torsen diffs is that once you lose all grip on one tire it starts acting just like an open diff. So while drifting it would probably start sending all the power to one wheel again pretty soon, making it hard to do long powered drifts.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Helical type LSD...
the quaife diffs will always give at least some power to at least one wheel, never a total loss, but I'd always favour a nice stock lsd over some gay geared diff
Find all posts by this user
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Helical type LSD...
OBX products are crap.

ATB or helical type LSD's i dont like as they are always searching for 50/50 torque split. My experience of them in on FWD vehicles and they understeer like crazy and pull/jerk you all over the road.

The reason is that they DO require both wheels to have traction, if one wheel has no traction then it will pass power to the open end. One reason why they are crap on the public roads with bumps and dirt, snow etc.

Everybody i know who has fitted an ATB has removed it shortly after, shame as quaife type stuff is awesome, just cant work with the diffs.
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Helical type LSD...
I've bad experience with OBX as well, particulary with a fuel pressure regulator which was a crap. It has fixed 6bar setting... Useless.
Also have torsen in my MX-5, and it's working beautifully on the track. With icey conditions it should have some traction problem because of the design, but fortunately I don't want to corner fast on on ice.
BTW S2000 uses uprated Mazda torsen, made by ?koichi oiygo? or what. Smile
02-25-2006, 04:24 AM
Helical type LSD...
and they break all day long lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ford type 9 gearbox with 4age engine filh 29 45,796 01-11-2015 01:02 PM
Last Post: filh
  7AGE to W58, cluth type? slowboy2 3 5,128 05-25-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: slowboy2