Handbrake adjustment discs?
02-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Hi

My car failed its yearly inspection on the handbrake not holding enough on the driver side.
It only just failed by a few percent from passing so the reading was very close!

My car has had quite a lot of work over the last few years the handbrake cables and calipers all look very fresh. Its got a disc rear axle.

Im not quite sure where to start with this. What could I check or adjust slightly?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
02-29-2024, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 03:58 PM by banpei.)
(02-28-2024 11:05 PM)DMC Wrote:  Hi

My car failed its yearly inspection on the handbrake not holding enough on the driver side.
It only just failed by a few percent from passing so the reading was very close!

My car has had quite a lot of work over the last few years the handbrake cables and calipers all look very fresh. Its got a disc rear axle.

Im not quite sure where to start with this. What could I check or adjust slightly?

Thanks!
If you haven't tried this yet, you could start by trying to adjust the brake cables as described in the manual. You can find it on page 117 (BR-8 ). We have the manual available for download on our site:
https://files.aeu86.org/manuals/AE86Manual.pdf

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Handbrake adjustment discs?]
That probably still might not resolve the difference between left and right, so you also better inspect the cables themselves. The cables are of uneven length, where the right side (so your driver's side) is shorter than the left side. Better double-check if the previous owner didn't by accident install two cables of the same length or reversed them. Wink
If they are of equal length, you can buy a reproduction set from Flos:
https://flos.ie/shop/ae86-handbrake-cabl...6834e7a283

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-29-2024, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 08:35 PM by totta Crolla.)
From the very useful picture that Banpei posted above, the adjustment is made
by tightening nut 90170-06004
The nut and its locking nut are found on the rear of the hand brake lever.

An analogue brain in a digital World
03-05-2024, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the very helpful replies!

I hope to attempt this tomorrow evening so will take it from there.

I should add the handbrake feels ok in the car i.e not too high or loose
03-07-2024, 12:54 AM
Got a quick look at this this evening. Pretty sure the cables are next to new but I didnt get a chance to remove them from the car to inspect.
However I did notice (going from the helpful diagram above) I only have 1 nut and a series of washers

The brake force kn reading for the handbrake on the driver side was 0.63 whereas last year it was a pass with 0.77

Will try get the cables off tomorrow to inspect

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-07-2024, 01:25 AM
If the cables are almost new tighten up that screw should do the trick. A new cable will stretch and settle ever so slightly in the beginning.

AE86 ex-daily
03-07-2024, 03:05 PM
Better replace those washers with a nut to be able to lock it in place. When the handbrake isn't engaged, the slack on the cables might be too big and the single nut could undo itself through vibrations. Having the second nut to lock the bottom one would prevent this and is good for peace of mind.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
03-08-2024, 01:46 PM
You need to check the caliper. See if you can move the cable lever on the caliper. Use a pair of channel locks and move the lever, by hand, to see if you can move the brake pads enough to prevent the wheel from turning. You will probably have to disassemble the caliper and clean and lube the worm gear inside. Also check the bore and piston. I would source a re-build kit before you dis-assemble the caliper plus you will need to be able to remove a large "C" clip deep inside the bore.
03-10-2024, 08:08 PM
Thanks again for the replies!

I got x2 new cables and fitted those yesterday. I loosened off the part inside the car to the end of the threads. The old ones did look to be a little stretched in comparison with the new. The levers on the back of the calipers could be moved without struggling so I assume they are OK? Made sure the pistons on the calipers where a tight fit with the pads when re-assembling.

All fitted back up together, I read an old thread where someone said to take the car out for a drive and do a few sharp stops in it. Then tighten up the handbrake inside again, so that's what I done.

However the handbrake still isnt great, you cant push the car any more when its on but when its rolling on my slope in driveway it will eventually stop but not immediately. The block above the prop is even when the handbrake is pulled also.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Camber adjustment vs original struts Lt86 9 8,670 05-07-2015 09:45 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Hydraulic handbrake with stock rear brakes Dino86 11 14,153 07-11-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  Rear ae86 rear discs & pad part numbers? J-86 4 5,421 11-30-2012 06:32 PM
Last Post: J-86
  Clutch adjustment heshan 10 14,364 11-09-2011 10:08 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  How to adjust camber on the front using standard adjustment? JDMitch 14 18,790 06-17-2011 04:55 PM
Last Post: Andrax