Fuel
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Fuel
Righto, Im new to the forum and such.

Its finally happened, my dad has let me have one of his ae86's! Cool

She's been sitting in the garage for a few years and runs on the ole leaded fuel. What do i need to do? Is there a different fuel i can use or am i going to have to convert it to leaded?

Im from the uk btw.

Any help apreciated as i want to get this beast running as soon as possible.
Find all posts by this user
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Fuel
well, if it has an 4age, it should just run fine on unleaded fuel. Mine is running on unleaded, 95 octane (euro 95).

maybe you need to clean the fuel lines first, but it shouldn't really matter. Give her a bit of TLC in the engine department. New oil, new coolant, new plugs....... reset the ECU (just leave the battery disconnected for a while, if that hasn't happened yet). Maybe empty the fuel tank and remove left over water or so... fill her up with plain petrol... and you should be set to go Big Grin

then again, i'm no mechanic Tongue but my car at least runs perfect on the unleaded fuel, and probably all the ae86's in the netherlands, since we don't have leaded fuel anymore since... late 80's?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Fuel]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Fuel
Thanks for the advice, i will most certainly get on the case this afternoon.
One of my friends has just told me shell v power is a 99 octane fuel so would this be better to use than unleaded or?

Il get some pics of the best up asap

I love my garage she house's 2 86's Yummie!
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Fuel
high octane fuel wont give you any benefits,the 4age was designed a long time ago,any fuel will do(unless its a fire breathing 8k rpm 200hp nutter)

08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Fuel
Cheers, Off to the petrol station with my jerry can i go then.
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Fuel
hehe, v power doesn't really matter that much. I've read about people in america jumping circles in the sky when they treat their car's to "high octane petrol.... 93!!!" instead of the usual 89..

Guess we're rather lucky in europe (at least in .NL). We have a choice of 95, 98 or the V-power equivalents (probably in the region of 100/102 octane? oh, wikipedia just says v-power is classed as 95 octane.. like wtf... 30 cents more expensive, and it's just the same as regular petrol in .nl haha Big Grin funny)

good luck with getting her running!

08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Fuel
Cavey, you cant compare octane ratings from the US with european ratings. We use RON octane, they use a different standard (MON). There is probably very little difference between the US and Euro fuels.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Fuel
Ivan141 Wrote:Cavey, you cant compare octane ratings from the US with european ratings. We use RON octane, they use a different standard (MON). There is probably very little difference between the US and Euro fuels.

yeah, i noticed Banging head did some more reading on wikipedia... addictive site Big Grin

apologies for spreading misinformation on my part Dumb question

08-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Fuel
Leaded fuel is def. not recommeded as this will ruin your catalytic converter and any 02 sensors.

Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car
1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

http://www.TheTunerSource.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toyota MR2 MK1 4AGE fuel rail same as hachi fuel rail ? Ian.G 3 4,216 09-16-2005 09:22 AM
Last Post: jamiemirror