Fuel gauge: works but shows lower than real??
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Hahahah,

my hachi is stranger still - when I fill up the tank to the brim the gauge shows full. But within 2 miles of driving it shows empty - then (and this is the best bit) the gauge starts to go back up as the fuel runs out. then there are times when its just random.

I've had my gauge showing 3/4 full and the fuel light come on at the same time LOL. The only way I can determine fuel level is to make sure I fill up before I get to 230km.

I think the in-tank float is probably knackered. LOL

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Fuel gauge: works but shows...han real??]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Ian.G Wrote:I think the in-tank float is probably knackered. LOL

Youre telling me Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
230km? man your car's thirsty... last time I was well over 450 and still 1/4 left - but not on the gauge... but then again, I'm still running it in...
10-21-2005, 09:14 PM
man reading this makes me feel all nostalgic.. like a de-ja-voo. Confused

on top of all this problems i have another one. the previous owner scraped the internal oem fuel pump and replaced it w/ a Volkswagen external pump Confused .. if there is one thing i learned when building this car is that toyota/stock is best.. all home improovments stopped working.

well my fuel pump does the job, but as soon as the tank has say less than 5 litres in it, the car start to bog and choke, as if i was running out of fuel..

so i was thinking of getting a race tank.. some 40 litres would be just fine. Does anybody know how much is something like that?
10-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Why get a race tank that is as big as your stock tank? Just put another toyota fuel pump in there if you must, but I dont see the point in going out for a drive with less than 5 liters anyway. Well unless it's purely a track car, but I dont think that's the case.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
because it is all rusty on top and the inside must be all rusted too..
10-23-2005, 11:34 AM
the 3/4 tank filler is standard problem on all hachi's! I've seen alot and all have the problem. Its never been fixed (maybe new from factory) But when the damn thing gets old the meter just doesn't go full.

Every hachi has a 40L gas tank and normally you'll tank between 30-35 L in it. No worries bothering the meter it will take the shit out of you for nothing!

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
10-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Am I the only one that doesnt have problems with this?? When I fill her up completely the meter first goes to 3/4, then slowly rises to completely full on the gauge. It is common for the fuel gauge to act weird though, like when your tank is almost empty the orange fuel light will go on and off all the time, depending on how fast you drive.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EUDM gauge cluster banpei 22 2,744 08-15-2023 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Engine starts/revs but no idle GenkiMotors 17 5,805 11-20-2021 04:12 AM
Last Post: GenkiMotors
  4age 16v running roughly - diagnostics shows unknown code Ryo 8 6,061 11-09-2020 10:51 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Water Temperature Instrument not moving - Sender Gauge Hama86 8 6,958 12-06-2017 06:48 PM
Last Post: Bean
  cool lower radiator hose thanos 4 4,893 11-29-2016 01:06 PM
Last Post: thanos