Exhaust fabrication
11-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Exhaust fabrication
Hi guys,

I'm going to try and finally make myself an exhaust system. Now I dont know how to weld, and dont have any equipment to do it, but I'm sure something can be arranged (mux? Dumb question ).
I have a stainless steel ebay exhaust, about the same size and shape of
the original, only more shiny with a bigger tip and it's straight-through design. Since my old stock exhaust needs welding very often, I plan to replace the pipe from the downpipe to the back. I wont be installing a new muffler where the middle one sits at the moment since it will cost me more and probably rust faster.

I ordered 2 2 meter sections of straight exhaust pipe, 54mm diameter, I also ordered 2 90 degree bends to avoid sharp turns where it is going to go over the diff. I think 54mm is more than big enough for an ae86, it's not a turbo car.

Does anyone have any experience with this? All advice is welcome.
If any of the dutch guys happen to have a spare rear section of an ae86 exhaust that might come in handy as an example.

I dont know how to connect the muffler to the ordinary steel piping I will be using, the muffler has a 60mm diameter that will need to be connected to the 54 mm piping. They have some parts that can interconnect pipes without welding, so I'll look into that.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Exhaust fabrication
Always helping you IVAN :-) love to see this little projects

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Exhaust fabrication
i have a spare last past of the exhaust,the piece that goes over the rear axle, do you want to borrow it?
11-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Exhaust fabrication
I just want to say that most of the people put under-diff aftermarket exhaust.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Exhaust fabrication
Ivan, I've made a flange out of 0.5" thick steel, (2 pcs with bold and nut)so I can take of the muffler, this way it's easier to put the whole thing together.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
11-10-2004, 01:31 AM
Exhaust fabrication
How did you weld it to the stainless steel, what welding process, what metal for the flange?
@ Zax: underdiff is only practical for cars that are lowered a lot, I actually have to worry about ground clearance a lot in this country gone wild with speedbumps. I'ts going to be an over diff exhaust, I'll just have to go through a bit more trouble getting those bends to fit correctly.

If the connecting bit they sell at the carparts store fits correctly I might just go with that. Having a bit of pipe or a flange welded to it is preferable, but it'not very easy to weld stainless steel from what I've heard. The best place to have a flange for the muffler is around the part where the exhaust goes over the diff. That way it's easy to remove and install the whole system.

@wouter: Yeah it would be great if I could borrow it for a couple of days, that way I could start puzzling the correct shape together before even taking the exhaust off the car. Send me a PM with your location etc. and I'll see what we can work out.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Exhaust fabrication
used co2 to weld, only thing is that where steel meets stainless , rust appears so some sort of rust protection is needed.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
11-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Exhaust fabrication
Yeah that's what I was worried about. I cant think of anything that will adequately protect such a weld from rusting out. It looks like I dont have any choice but to either weld a normal steel flange to the muffler and accept the fact that it will rust soon, or I'll need to find someone to weld a stainless steel flange to the muffler.
Does co2(mig/mag right?) work for welding stainless steel together? Most people tend to say TIG is the way to go, which is a bit annoying, since almost no-one has acces to TIG welders or knows how to use them.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Exhaust fabrication
Isn't it possible to protect it with a thick layer of heatresistant paint?

I painted my scooterexhaust a few years ago with that sort of paint.
It did'nt rust anymore (not even @ exhaustport, wich became really hot every time i drove it).

I believe it was from Ninja or something like that.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
11-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Exhaust fabrication
Ivan,

I know one person who welds TIG at home and has experience building exhausts but he isn't cheap..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4agZe custom fabrication - need pictures Okami 5 13,032 08-08-2011 03:37 AM
Last Post: Saber
  rollcage fabrication ? shanemck 2 3,279 10-23-2008 01:39 AM
Last Post: JonT