Exhaust: Max.HP with Min.dB - how?
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi, i'd like to know how to make an exhaust with minimal restriction in flow (in other words, an exhaust that would yield as much HP as possible) but still keeping the loudness (not sound, but dB) stock/oem (or as silent as possible). I know countless calculations would be needed to make an exceptional compromise, but what are some of the general properties of such exhaust? Engine in question is a standard 4age..

I've heard fujitsubos and they keep the noise down, but give a gain in flow/power/torque. But they are bloody expensive. So for a homegarage inventions/improvisation guy, what is the best take?

regards,saso
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Apolan Wrote:Hi, i'd like to know how to make an exhaust with minimal restriction in flow (in other words, an exhaust that would yield as much HP as possible) but still keeping the loudness (not sound, but dB) stock/oem (or as silent as possible). I know countless calculations would be needed to make an exceptional compromise, but what are some of the general properties of such exhaust? Engine in question is a standard 4age..

I've heard fujitsubos and they keep the noise down, but give a gain in flow/power/torque. But they are bloody expensive. So for a homegarage inventions/improvisation guy, what is the best take?

regards,saso

A big freeflowing silencer with enough packing would be the way to do it.

1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, Injen Induction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
IMHO......
The key to the Fujitsubo(besides perfect mandrel bends) is the LOOOOOOONG resonator. The resonator section of the Fujitsubo is nearly 2 feet long in the large muffler models!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Exhaust: Max.HP with Min.dB - how?]

I've had two of the three LegalisR's that Fujitsubo offered...
the short muffler twin pipe and the large muffler twin pipe

The shorter muffler model was just a bit too loud for my tastes(47 here so an olde fart) the current one is just perfect.... so perfect I rarely listen to tunes, prefer to listen to the sweet symphony coming from my engine/Fujitsubo

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
05-08-2007, 06:17 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:The shorter muffler model was just a bit too loud for my tastes(47 here so an olde fart) the current one is just perfect.... so perfect I rarely listen to tunes, prefer to listen to the sweet symphony coming from my engine/Fujitsubo

soundclip! Smile

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
DJexor Wrote:
oldeskewltoy Wrote:The shorter muffler model was just a bit too loud for my tastes(47 here so an olde fart) the current one is just perfect.... so perfect I rarely listen to tunes, prefer to listen to the sweet symphony coming from my engine/Fujitsubo

soundclip! Smile

I have no sound clips unfortunately.... and Fujitsubo does have clips....
http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/sound_catalog.php
but none of the AE86, or a 4AGE.....

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
If you use a 2.5" pipe, with two straight through mufflers, the exhaust will flow well, and be quiet. In australia many people I know used a 'Super Turbo' muffler which had 2.5" in/oulets and with minimal restrictions makes any car quieter. Here is a link that may be usefull.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0383...larArticle

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Quote:The Suzuki's dyno-recorded power output was identical for both the worse-flowing (Berklee BM480) and best-flowing (Genie resonator) mufflers!

I think design is probably a key issue. Some gains to be had from mandrel bends and smooth transitions, Then use a resonance type muffler with big volume to most efficiently reduce noise. Straight through mufflers will effectively make you deaf for a 1hp gain.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-09-2007, 01:03 PM
dAYTONA Wrote:If you use a 2.5" pipe, with two straight through mufflers, the exhaust will flow well, and be quiet. In australia many people I know used a 'Super Turbo' muffler which had 2.5" in/oulets and with minimal restrictions makes any car quieter. Here is a link that may be usefull.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0383...larArticle

i wouldn't be too sure about that Smile

My Celica GT (with 4A-GE) has a custom 2,5" exhaust (from the point where the 2 pipes go in to 1) with 2 (of the biggest type possible to fit) straight through mufflers, made out of Simons stuff.

I can feel a slight difference compared to the stock exhaust, but it's F*CKING loud.
I need to go back to the guy who made it, to get it more quiet.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
05-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Isnt a resonance muffler same as a straight-through muffler? perforated (drilled) pipe, packed with some sort of mineral/glass/sand wool, inside a bigger pipe? is this what i should be used? or some other type? Does anybody have some "diasection" pictures of various muffler types with some descriptions etc?
05-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Nopes, the "resonance type muffler" should have read "reflection type muffler". I just didn't write that down on account of me being a moron.

Reflection mufflers have a series of baffles inside them that form a sort of rats maze. Nothing straight through about them. Truth is, straight through exhausts will have a difficult time bringing noise levels below 90dB.

Minimum number of bends, bends that are there preferably mandrel bent, single diameter front to back (no sudden jumps ANYWHERE in the system), about 2" piping. Minimum number of welds and other connections)

Flowspeeds are so low through the muffler that its restriction (if decently sized) can be neglected. Try out several types and choose the one that doesn't make you deaf in a year.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone got Max Orido's Magical Fuse? banpei 7 1,363 02-08-2024 11:09 AM
Last Post: banpei
  Max lift on Vitz valve lifters harkes 9 10,171 01-02-2014 10:27 AM
Last Post: Bean
  max brake disc thickness ae86 caliper+heel and toe question ditn 26 24,566 10-02-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: ditn
  track questions:max oil/water temp,egt and other ditn 7 7,425 07-06-2012 12:40 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Work equip 01 max offset?? stalker 5 8,728 08-23-2011 03:09 AM
Last Post: Lewy