Driveshaft Problems
03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Driveshaft Problems
Hi all,

Since January, time i bought my AE86, I've been struggling with some differential problems. My final gear is basically garbage, and i've bought already a new one 4.55ratio. New bearings also. And i'm almost finishing the whole process by buying a brand new LSD.

Well, but lately when i'm riding my hachi, I've been hearing some metallic noises coming from the gearbox and from the center bearing of the driveshaft.

So i went under, and i discovered that the gearbox rear crossmember has a rubber support, and mine is broken... The crossmember has a "coin" shaped thinghie that is loose...

But my main problem is this, the center bearing of the driveshaft is "loose" from the support? I have the support to not let the bearing touch the ground, but if i press the shaft towards my chassis, it moves.... It's that way? Or do i have something broken?

I already checked the toyodiy, and i can't find any "support" for the center bearing.....

I'm going nuts....

Regards!
Find all posts by this user
03-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Driveshaft Problems
The center bearing for the driveshaft is in a 2-sided rubber isolator that WILL have some play, IE: you can move it up/down/left/right a bit.

The 'coin' thingy is a washer welded to the end of a bolt that is supposed to 'catch' the upper bracket in the event of crash. So the engine/trans doesn't come loose. Not a huge deal if it's not there, as long as the 2 large parts of the rubber are in good condition. You can thread it back in place, remove the trans mount and have it tack'd (welded) so it doesn't come loose again.

Andrew
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Driveshaft Problems
Miss guess is that my final gear is pretty much dead... The car is not drivable at the moment, because i really dont know if my final gear problems, are causing all those noises and problems....

Need to check that asap, i really miss my rides!

Thank you in advance!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 Driveshaft too long? [SOLVED] MyCrazyGarage 12 5,013 07-28-2022 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,527 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,049 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Kaaz 1.5 way Diff - Driveshaft Compatability chrisae86 1 2,042 05-10-2021 01:02 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Problems Mintex M1155 pads Dino86 9 7,933 07-04-2017 11:22 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla