Disassemble rear axle
10-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Well I'm getting pretty frustrated right now. Robo dropped by yesterday and we got the axle out another few mms but no further then thatSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
10-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Mux - if the shaft/bearing is moving a few mm, then keep at it as she is coming out.

A bit of penetrating oil between the case and bearing outer can help as well as applying gentle heating.

I've got one shaft out, but the other is not moving! I used an old steel wheel and a big hammer. May need to borrow/buy/hire a big capacity slide hammer to get the left shaft out though....
10-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Got another solution , but please don't laugh . It's true as i saw it done on an Opel Rekord(rwd). Don't laugh... Hurray!
A friend of mine did that: he tied(firmly!!!) the left side of the axle to a tree( a Pylone will be convenient too) and the other end to his brother's car( with a big chain, and to the trail hook). He started the car and move straight forward. After a few tries , the axle went out ,without any damage.
It may seem barbarian , but the work was done and without much efforts.
THat's a solution . Or you keep on hammering , but don't forget to turn wheel very often to have equal power applied to the bearing.
Good luck..
Filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
10-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Disassemble rear axle
If you have a slide hammer at your disposal you could try tying a rope or towel to it and whip the slide hammer with that. The exerted force is smaller, but the impulse force is bigger that way. Seems to work for some people.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Disassemble rear axle
I've got the second axle out!!!!!!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Disassemble rear axle
mux213 Wrote:I've got the second axle out!!!!!!
Tell me the tricks! Smile

I really need to know..

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Disassemble rear axle]
10-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Well,

Step 1) get frustrated
Step 2) get a bigger hammer from a friend
Step 3) figure out youre only damaging the rim more so take it of
Step 4) be an idiot, forget all you've been warned about, and bang as hard as you can on the diskbrake (do NOT use the diskbrake when driving afterwards)
Step 5) Find out that the axle does move now after being hit VERY VERY hard a couple of times (rotate the dust cover a couple of times so you can hit in different places)
Step 6) Watch out when the axle comes flying outSmile

Turns out there was a very small film of rust on the bearing, enough to really make it tight. Otherwise the bearing feels good, no play in it at all.

My LSD also looks like new, I'll take some pictures tomorow.

Only problem I have now is that one bolt is fused with a bushing and when I tried to bang the bolt out I belt the bracketSad Thats gonne give me problems with aligning the carSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Hurray! Respect! Hurray! Respect!
great
filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
11-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Does someone have partnumbers for all the gaskets I need to put the axle back together again? All that remains before I get to that point is cutting a bolt out and finishing the paint work.

Also does anyone have part numbers so I can rebuild the rear calipers?

And for the dutch people amongst us, any suggestions where to order? The response I got with Toyota dealer near me was ah : "bring your car and we'll fix it up for you because we have qualified personel" sorta thing I've come to expect from most dealers. With partnumbers I can probably order it through a local garage I've befriended.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Your toyota dealer should have a parts guy that helps you get your parts no matter what. I have never heard that line of crap before in my life. They only offered to help me out with my crank pulley bolt one time...for free.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 16,985 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 704 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Door lock disassemble RWD 3 1,572 03-17-2022 02:03 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 11,515 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,545 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu