Diff ?
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Diff ?
Ok so is the wine ok? I mean will it still drive fine and everything?

And how do I fix the wine?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Diff ?
The whine is most likely too much backlash on the ring and pinion.. Possibly too little preload on the pinion, in which case it might only whine at certain loads.

If you want to fix it, then you could take the third member out of the axle and check /readjust backlash. This is the easiest adjustment to do on the diff and it doesnt require deassembly. But the most you can usually hope for is to get it to whine a bit less.. once they start, there is usually already some wear and you rarely get them completely quiet again. Having a new ring and pinion installed professionally would be the best cure, but that will probably cost about as much as your car.

I've been driving around on a sloppy, extremely whining diff for about 40.000 km's now and it hasnt gotten much worse, so if you drive like a sane person it might last quite a while, but it will drive you NUTS (I drive with earplugs all the time). If on the other hand you are actively going to drift the car, dont expect the differential to last very long.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Diff ?
I guess I need to start saving lol Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Diff Oil For a Clutch plate diff? jamieae86 10 12,989 12-16-2011 11:14 AM
Last Post: bakonick
  weight diff head diff center fax0815 5 6,086 12-21-2010 03:03 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  Celica F-diff with Hilux/ Pickup Torsen diff Roye 7 10,719 04-29-2008 09:13 PM
Last Post: Roye