Damn POS Hatchi :-/
05-15-2005, 12:19 AM
OK, so i've had slight problems with the car creeping in neutral and wiper blades...
Now, however, it's much worse...

I've had the 206 partially disassembled for some interior mods and have been driving the Hachi only.
Got the wheels balanced after a trip to jutland (~1000km total) where I found out the steering wheel shakes at +130km/h... 150 grams on one wheel Huh And it still shakes a little cause the cheap POS tires the previous owner bought are apparently not aligned properly somehow (tire guy's comment)... So i neew new tires.
The exhaust broke (obviously at the absolutely most inopportune time), at the rear of the centre-muffler. Sounds like a rattly muffler-less tractor now :-( The DIY workshop didn't have anything that fit so I had to put the 206 back together for a drive to jutland and home again (~800km) the very next day. On the way to my moms place (I borrow her garage), at 3500RPM in 4th, it suddenly went to 4000 and the shifter popped into neutral...?!? Tried it again, same thing. Hmm... Yes, you guessed it, busted clutch. And it worked perfectly until now... Had it on a lift and the back-muffler seems to be welded together and the header (4>2 collector) has weld spots as well... Just fscking great!

Then there's all the little things like the wipers, little rust spots, windshield chips and the paint falling off the wheels.

What's next? A con-rod (I think it's called) out the side of the engine or something? (knock on wood).

And no, it's not for sale (although I'm tempted) Only doubt in my mind is whether it should be black or panda... ;-)

Peugeot 206 1.6 XT - 09/2003
Toyota Corolla GT Coupé - 09/1984
Yonzie - 09/1980
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, sounds like your 86 didnt get looked after by the previous owner.
I'm not too sure about that clutch going bad. If the clutch was broken you wouldnt be able to drive anymore. And I dont think gearboxes ordinarily pop back into neutral by themselves.
The exhaust is often rusty, but then that's a part that is usually replaced every couple of years on most cars. Mine has to be welded over and over each year to pass MOT.

If you dont want conrods coming out the side of your engine, then make sure you do all the necessary maintenance and warm her up before you step on it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Yonzie,

Dont give up man, this is part of the risk of buying a second hand car, in the end it often will turn out not to be as bad as you think.

When I bought my car I had cheap ass tires on it aswell that kept loosing pressure. When I finally put my yoko's on alot of problems just went away, no more vibration, no more strange behaviour when driving. So definately get yourself some better tires.

Your shifter problem sounds formiliar two, but I've only had my car suddenly jump out of gear when in 2nd and drifting.. This is a problem, hope you find what is causing it. I have to agree with Ivan I find it doubtfull its the clutch. Unfortunately it does sound like something that may be harder to fix then a broken clutch...

Rust spots, paint chipping, broken wiperblades and all that are perfectly normal for a 20 year old car. It'll take you some time but bit by bit you should be able to fix those bits cheaply enough aslong as there are no major rust spots.

And as for the exhaust, again a common problem for a 20 year old car. Ask around with the other danish guys, possibly someone has some 2nd hand bits you can use while you save up for a full new exhaust.

Anyways, good luck with getting your hachi back into shape. Just take it one step at a time and before you know it, you'll have a hachi that you can trust and wont let you down Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
05-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:Well, sounds like your 86 didnt get looked after by the previous owner.
Yea... At least he apparently fixed a lot of rust. As far as I can see, there's no major rust spots.

Ivan141 Wrote:I'm not too sure about that clutch going bad. If the clutch was broken you wouldnt be able to drive anymore. And I dont think gearboxes ordinarily pop back into neutral by themselves.
mux213 Wrote:Your shifter problem sounds formiliar two, but I've only had my car suddenly jump out of gear when in 2nd and drifting.. This is a problem, hope you find what is causing it. I have to agree with Ivan I find it doubtfull its the clutch. Unfortunately it does sound like something that may be harder to fix then a broken clutch...
I googled for it, and it was listed as a symptom :-( It drives, but it slips like mad. Got a guy looking at it, and he said the same. He'll be fixing it next week. Hope it works out.

mux213 Wrote:Dont give up man, this is part of the risk of buying a second hand car, in the end it often will turn out not to be as bad as you think.
mux213 Wrote:Rust spots, paint chipping, broken wiperblades and all that are perfectly normal for a 20 year old car. It'll take you some time but bit by bit you should be able to fix those bits cheaply enough aslong as there are no major rust spots.

Anyways, good luck with getting your hachi back into shape. Just take it one step at a time and before you know it, you'll have a hachi that you can trust and wont let you down Smile
I know, I know... Guess I'm just spoiled, this is my first seriously old car ;-) Hopefully it'll be in my possession at least until it gets veteran status (30 years). Then the insurance gets mad cheap as long as it's not the #1 car.

Ivan141 Wrote:If you dont want conrods coming out the side of your engine, then make sure you do all the necessary maintenance and warm her up before you step on it.
Definitely. The first thing I did was getting a 240k km service (double large) done at my local dealer (OUCH! ~800€ + new radiator and a few other bits).

mux213 Wrote:When I bought my car I had cheap ass tires on it aswell that kept loosing pressure. When I finally put my yoko's on alot of problems just went away, no more vibration, no more strange behaviour when driving. So definately get yourself some better tires.
Yea. Can't decide whether or not I should get the wheels shined up or get Graphite Panasports though... Confused

Peugeot 206 1.6 XT - 09/2003
Toyota Corolla GT Coupé - 09/1984
Yonzie - 09/1980
05-16-2005, 01:15 AM
When the gears keeps popping out it's a problem with the gearbox itself. Can't remember the name of the part, but it's a part in the gearbox. It's simply worn and needs replacement.

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Damn POS Hatchi :-/]
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  no ae86 but to damn proud of my bluebird 910 D.Wars 10 15,937 01-27-2008 09:02 PM
Last Post: Mux213