Car height, how much lower can it go..
04-22-2011, 07:15 PM
....without messing up the ride too much.

I can buy a set of new Bilstein shockers, and of course I will buy new springs that go with it.

But how many cm's lower should it be than standard?

This is my car with standard shockers and Apex springs, lowering is about 2 or 3 cm i think?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Car height, how much lower can it go..]

This is still a bit too high for my liking, but can I safely go lower, like 4 or 5 cm or so?
Remember this will be my daily driver! Smile

Aram.
Find all posts by this user
04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I was driving the tokico hts shortstroke in combination with eibach springs in front (coilover kit from t3) and quite shorts springs at the rear and didnt have a lot of problems with it. As long as you drive slow when you go over a bump. The only thing what i dont like is that you can't change rideheight at the rear. I think it would be cool if you take the Greddy coilover kit. Front and rear adjustable.

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
04-22-2011, 09:58 PM
The bilsteins will be long stroke. You can drop it some centimeters but the car will be very close to or touching the bumpstops. Not nice on a daily.

You really need shortstroke shocks in shortened housings to be slammed..

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-23-2011, 12:15 AM
have it touching the floor lad its the only way Thumbs up! Respect! Thumbs up! Respect! Thumbs up!

toyota MR2/wright off
subaru impreza non turbo/sold
subaru wrx sti type R 320 bhp/sold
88 opel omega/scraped
ford mondeo/scraped
current car 83 AE86 levin turbo
04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
LOL, it is going to be a dialy car mate, that is waaaaay to low. Wink

I read that the B6 is long stroke and suited for up to 30mm the short stroke version is the B8 which starts from 40mm and lower.

I actually want to go 40mm (not more than that) but how big is the risk of hitting the bumpstop when I go just 10mm lower than advised?
04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
'Bubble drift' low Respect!
04-28-2011, 09:44 PM
thats not too low for a daily, you just have to be carefull where you go to daily Smile
04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
My car (you've seen it right?) still has some wheel gap going on, but only 5cm of travel on the shocks left. Thats with 40mm shortened housings. If you do the same with Bilstein B8 you'll have 10mm of travel left.. Add in the bumpstop that I'm not using and you are dropped on the bumpstops with no bump travel available.

Bilstein B8 only has a shorter shock rod, not a shorter body. They shorten the rod so that short springs stay captive. But you still have to deal with the lack of bump travel unless you go short stroke.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Nothing to add to nohachi. B8 for hachi are not made. they simply shoten ten piston rod from the bottom of the shock, so it solves nothing.
I ride standard B6 with apex springs, nice combo spring/damper but definitelly too low on the front. need raise it 10-20mm to work absolute properly, (mean to drive really psycho on bad roads) for normal driving and on good surface is bilstein and apex nice combination.
I will fit 3kg stock ride height springs on the front now and hoping that it will handle even better.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
05-01-2011, 11:12 AM
So these Bilsteins may not be for me then. Sad

Do you have any pictures of your car perhaps SekiguchiUeno?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Can Wing Mirror Glass be Replaced? chrisae86 1 789 03-05-2023 09:34 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Can you convert your 86 back too the original state? gh0st 7 2,154 04-25-2022 04:25 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Can you seperate trueno kouki bumper lights into zenki bumper lights? gh0st 17 6,100 12-19-2021 11:58 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Can you identify this wheels? Will they fit AE86? Ryo 8 9,612 09-08-2021 12:48 PM
Last Post: Ryo
  cool lower radiator hose thanos 4 4,891 11-29-2016 01:06 PM
Last Post: thanos