Blackle.com
07-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Blackle.com
Hi

Dont know if anyone already knows, but, the intent of this post its just spread the word.

Blackle.com is a new search engine by Google. So whats the news?

Its absulutly the same, but in black. The propose of this new search engine is, guess what, save energy. They say that the computer uses less energy when using black or darker display contents. Keeping in mind the number of people that use google as theyre default browser, it gives the incredible number of 750 Megawatt-hours a Year.

Check it here.
http://www.blackle.com

Everithing is explained here
http://www.blackle.com/about/

So, i guess more and more webpages will be darker.

I know that AEU86.org recently redesigned all the webpage and foruns, but in the future, when a new "fresh air" will be needed, i leave this sugestion: "Blackle it!" Thumbs up!

Didnt know if should post here or the offtopic section, but as this is a "green" matter, so why not...

Remember, "every bit counts"!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Blackle.com]
Cump´s
Filipe Oliveira
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Blackle.com
Every time you exhale you exhale some greenhouse gasses, just like cars we also burn fossels with the difference that we eat them first but the result is that same.

So maybe if we remember to breath a little less, maybe just keep your breath once every minute, and everyone in the world does that, we may save our planet!!

Seriously, its good people are thinking of the environment but please, stick to solving the cause of the problem, not try to limit their impact by half measures. Now I can use blackle instead of google and feel good about myself, but the next application I start may be so bright for my monitor it undoes all that good I've done. And before we know it there will be blacklists on the internet about sites you should not visit because they are sooo bright and soo bad for the environment...

I was looking at a documentary the other day about a couple of guys that where designing environmentally friendly factories. They were taking a look the production processes of these factories and coming up with ideas how to change them and make the whole process such that it was non pollutant. Now theres something that's a little more then a drop in a bucket. The most surprising thing for me that came out of this documentary that these guys were at it for the last 10 or 20 years and successfully so just proving we already have the technology available to drastically clean up our industries and that it can even be more economical then using polluting technology. Unfortunately their ideas are still regarded as utopius and many believe it will cost to much and is not economical. But time and time again they prove that it is.

Check out this WIKI for some more info about one of the two guys this documentary was about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McDonough

Owh and indeed this is offtopicSmile definately and interesting topic, but not about AE86'sSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Blackle.com
Btw, on a related note.

In the news today was an articel about how airco units use up to 25% more power if they aren't maintained even when they are only a few years old. So having your airco checked regularly is probably much more benefitial to the environment then trying to save energy with your PC monitor (which btw are getting more and more economical anyways thanks to laptop technology).

With car airco's I read an articel some time back that every year you loose a couple of % of the cooling gas due to the way the aircon works, so I can imagine that if after a few years you've lost 10% of 20% of the gas, the aircon might still work, but will need to work much harder to cool as much as it did when it was new.

So I guess regular maintenance can make a big difference.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

07-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Blackle.com
That thing about breading a bit less its totaly ridiculous man. I mean, obviously you'll not save the world by using blackle, but if there is a minimal benefict, why not?

I dont have airco, not in my car, not in my house, neither in the classroom. Now I feel a lot better.

Why not throw little papers in the ground instead of the trash can, someone latter will pick em up. duahhh

Cump´s
Filipe Oliveira
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Blackle.com
hey Lipinhu,

Yeah the breathing example was just satire mateSmile

You are right, anything you can do to save the environment you should do, its a good thing. the point I was trying to make is that sometimes people come up with solutions that to me seem to defy the point.

The black version of google, its a nice thought but I think there are much more effective ways to invest your money into to save the environment. But that is just my humble opinionSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Blackle.com
The funny thing is: Blackle isn't owned by Google. Mikibo is the owner and uses "Google custom search" which means you can use the google search and adjust it to your own site, and even better: they get money if people click on sponsored links or advertisements, so save energy and at the same time get rich. Big Grin Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user