Bad/Good springs/shocks
10-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Bad/Good springs/shocks
K lets post are suspension settings and the allround info behind it (springrates damping etc)

I still drive stock so shitty there :-)

Ivan and me found out that Merwede springs SUCK :-) just for the first notice.

Important is that companies give you what you want meaning if you ask for a 4kg/mm that you get that etc.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Bad/Good springs/shocks
I have

Front: T3 coilovers, 40mm cut case, AGX short stroke insert, Eibach 4kg/mm, T3 camber tops, BattleVersion NCRCA, TRD ARB.

Rear: Cut AE86 lowering springs (unkown rate, but too soft!), Isuzu Piazza shocks, BV adjustable 5 links, TRD ARB, cut bumpstops.

The front is great. Short stroke configuration improves ride quality and handling beyond all expectations. 4kg is a softer spring than most use, but my car sees mostly road use on crappy tyres. The TRD rollbar helps tame body roll and there is very little now.

Rears are a bit of a pikey makeshift set-up. I'm looking for a rear spring of about 3kg/mm but haven't gone custom because they will never get the ride height right so why bother? I'll just keep experimenting with various springs of a similar diameter and stiffer rate until I'm happy...

The Piazza shocks are a fair bit stiffer than stock and are VERY short to keep the shortened springs seated. I've got some AGX to try for the rear but I haven't fitted them as yet.

Currently the set-up is undersprung at the rear so handling is quite safe and grippier than I'd like. With a spring closer to 3kg, I should have a nice balance for road and occasional track use.

Most people with AE86's run rates far stiffer than they (and their tyres) will ever need and too stiff for an unreinforced unibody. A lot of this is just following trends of what others do, rather than thinking about their own specific needs...
10-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Bad/Good springs/shocks
I can say I've only driven 2 Levins in my year of hachi hunting.

The first car I drove was a UK levin - had a front sparco strut brace, koni dampers and lowered right down. Rollbars were whiteline and Tt had the lateral rod replaced - I don't know what that was. It was non-power steered too. It handled pretty well but was a little to low for the dampers I think - seemed to bounce on the rear bumpstops a lot.

The car I bought is like this suspension wise:

Front: Techno Pro spirit Coilovers with AE92 TRD inserts, Cusco adjustable top mounts/pillowballs. Cusco rollbar, poly bushes. Shell has NAMS turret/bulkhead supports and a Cusco Brace.

Rear: TRD rear 8 way adjustable shock (soft/medium clicks), unknown springs, Cusco links, rollbar and lateral rod, poly bushes. Shell has Cusco shcok tower brace and half cage.

Its stiff but not harsh. I need to check the tracking, power steering, track arms etc as its not great. I get movement in the wheel similar to a wheel balance problem. I had the wheels balanced at the weekend - its better but not gone. ???

I'd like to experience some other cars still. I have no ideas of the cars geometry settings other than I think 0 toe front and rear and a little camber.

I also don't know if I've got the bump adapters on the front struts either - need to take a look some time. Two weeks of ownership and its been a lot of fun so far.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bad/Good springs/shocks]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Bad/Good springs/shocks
Hi folks,

I am new in this forum. Would like to know where is the forum based on and would like to share some info with you guys. Have been driving AE86 for past 3 years and been driving FR car for about 6 years.

My AE86 setup is not expensive but works quite well in street and circuit.

Front:-
PU bushes on Tension rod and lower arm
RCA
26mm ARB
8kg/mm spring
KYB Shockers

Rear
PU bush on all links
6.1 kg/mm spring
TRD Shockers

This setup is good all round but need to have at least a front strut bar otherwise you will feel a lot of flex.
10-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Bad/Good springs/shocks
Hi Guest,

You might want to sign up, its easier to track posts that way and such Thumbs up!

This forum is a phpbb based forum if that is what you mean. The configuration is our own idea but we 'stole' some ideas from other car forums offcourse, why re-invent the wheelSmile

Sounds like you got a nice setup there. Interesting that you have different dampers in the rear then in the front. The 8 - 6 ratio on your springs I've seen more oftenSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Camber, caster, toe, anti-roll bars, tires, springs...... ZaX 5 24,882 10-29-2004 04:43 PM
Last Post: NoHachi