Anyone got a drum axle on their Corolla?
11-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I've got a drum axle. Was wondering if it's better for drifting than the usual brake discs. The handbrakes usually suck on Corollas what with the rear callipers/disc combination not being very good. Was wondering how the drums would be. I'm hoping they're better. Anyone got drum setup?
Find all posts by this user
11-16-2005, 09:02 AM
I've heard drum handbrakes indeed work better.. I guess for drifting it realy doesn't matter to much whether you have drum or disk other then drum being a little easier for handbrake stuff, although the disk setup works fine IMHO..
For race track driving give me disks any day..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Mr Doricar Wrote:I've got a drum axle. Was wondering if it's better for drifting than the usual brake discs. The handbrakes usually suck on Corollas what with the rear callipers/disc combination not being very good. Was wondering how the drums would be. I'm hoping they're better. Anyone got drum setup?

Drum itself would be fine for drifting, especially at a beginner's stage. What I have doubts about is whether you have a LSD in that drum axle. Check that part first Smile

1984 Toyota Corolla 4AGE 20v
2007 Subaru Impreza STi
11-16-2005, 10:04 AM
James,

once you convert over to a hydraulic handbrake the std calipers will work a lot better (They obviously wont use the spring mechanism on the caliper that the std handbrake cable uses). I think brother Raj is using such a system now and it is much better.

My handbrake was pretty poo to begin with - but once I'd adjusted the cables and switched the pads out for mintex 1144 it worked much better (although not perfectly)

If you have drums then they should be spot on if the brake shoes are in good nick. Thumbs up!

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Anyone got a drum axle on their Corolla?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2005, 12:02 AM
It has a 2way TRD in it

I'll just stick with drums for now Ian. Probably going independent rear or a different axle that can cope with the abuse the car is going to be put under Wink
11-22-2005, 02:06 AM
J.C. - drum brakes rule... if you are upgrading your rear axle, I'll buy your drum-brake rear.
11-25-2005, 03:23 AM
You mean you'll still talk to me if I go IRS?