Ae86 body repair progress: new bushings w pics
08-29-2005, 02:31 PM
If all else fails, try smacking it with a hammer and/or heating it up with a torch to break the rust between the 2 parts...If you can take out the entire tie rod with inner steering knuckle then it might be possible to mount it in a vice (which makes it easier and safer to apply the good old brute force).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2005, 05:26 PM
dreja good job. looks superb! Hurray!

soon all-hachis-of-slovenia-club will rise! Evil (curently @ 2 members and counting). Smile

BTW: about those starters.. i think honda has the best sounding starter. its just soo cool. not that that matters.. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
dreja Wrote:I have already sprayed it with wd40, I'll try to make it wet for a longer time...

Regards
Andrej

Man, I experimented with galvanic type of rust removing. If you insyst to keep all parts from damage - you can try this. If you are interested - I can briefly explain how it works and how this can be easily implemented at home. Smile
08-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Yes, jamiemirror, pls explain Dumb question
08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Galvanic cleaning is a possible method of removing corrosion deposits.

It involves placing the casting in a bath and surrounding it with an anodic metal such as aluminum foil. The bath is then filled with a 20% solution of soda ash.

The casting is then left in the bath until the aluminum has dissolved.

Found this on the subject...it's a way of letting metals react together, causing them to dissolve into some other substance...thereby dissolving rust (along with a tiny bit of the base metal of the object you are trying to clean!!)

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
There is a metod we use here when all fails and rust has taken control. We just heat the iron with flame welder. I was doing this on fuel tank of course properly wented befor this Tongue
Just a little heat and all screws where going smootly . Thumbs up!
Of course galvanizing is a really good way to prevent the car to get rusty. Just repair all rust and than to the zinc bath. And the car will for sure not get rusty again so soon . :wink:

85' AE86 GT coupe lifetime project since 2005
08-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Yups...and it will also come out of that bath shaped more or less like a corkscrew. Galvanising is a proces that is very difficult to manage and needs specifically designed parts to give good results. The metals are all heated and sections of various thicknesses expand at different rates.

There are different ways of applying zinc (heating zinc powder an spraying that), but the results depend largely on the skill of the guy doing it.

A 3 component paint yob is still up there when it comes to protection. That and cleaning every nook and cranny of the car at least twice a month.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Ryo Wrote:There is a metod we use here when all fails and rust has taken control. We just heat the iron with flame welder. I was doing this on fuel tank of course properly wented befor this Tongue
Just a little heat and all screws where going smootly . Thumbs up!
Of course galvanizing is a really good way to prevent the car to get rusty. Just repair all rust and than to the zinc bath. And the car will for sure not get rusty again so soon . :wink:

The torch flame is not so good if you plan to re-use these parts (due to thermal changes).
The process is little different - I use soda (bicarbonate - baking soda) and car battery recharger device :-) Just connect (-) to your detail, (+) to some piece of iron and dial the recharger to the ~2A. Both details (your and iron piece) must be soaked in the soda solution for ~4-5 hours (or more) You will notice bubbles :-) When you remove your detail from the solution, rinse with water and clean the surface - all restings will fall easily.

This process doesn't need any specific control or prerequisites. Just coat the clean iron with primer - will rust fast (just because is very very clean from rust, paint and deposits).
01-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Time for update, I've passed the MOT !!! Hurray! Hurray!

Here are some pics:

The timing gear didn't want to get off, so they had to cut it Smile Thanks to ZaX who lended me his spare gear. Smile
http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/81...ik-med.JPG

I've had to buy new (refubrished) calipers at http://www.budweg.com through the dealer in our country.
http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/81...er-med.JPG

finished:
http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/81..._2-med.JPG
http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/81..._1-med.JPG

http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/81..._2-med.JPG
http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/81..._1-med.JPG

I'd like to thank you all of you who helped me with the parts:

Mux for the front seats and antenna
Robokill and mux for the door panels
Ryo for the mirror
ZaX for the original springs (not mounted yet) and for the timing gear
Knudsen who helped me with buying the calipers
JonT for the back lights
Mo-racing for the bushings
etc.

and all the others who helped with advices Smile

Regards
Andrej
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Wheeeh! Way to go man! Damn it really became nice! Glad it all worked out for you in the end. Can't believe how clean you got those seatsSmile

Hope you will be able to enjoy the car for many many kilometersSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Djexor's 86 - Making progress DJexor 539 518,054 04-11-2024 08:29 AM
Last Post: DJexor
  Corolla Levin Repair, Paint and Tune - WITH VIDEO apardal 542 571,833 02-16-2024 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Trueno Hatch and Levin Coupe - Repair, replace, pray xD TomRich 13 13,216 10-07-2018 09:45 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Newera Import's 200 bhp N/A AE86 - Progress Report! Miguel - Newera 166 234,888 09-19-2013 03:56 PM
Last Post: chrisd1
  Ae86 from Poland. Complete body rebuild Doktor 9 13,327 09-07-2013 11:07 PM
Last Post: Doktor