AE86 LSDs
03-30-2005, 01:18 PM
AE86 LSDs
Quote:Stock LSD wears out a lot faster since it has less clutch disks

There are still some working OK after 20+ years and 200.000+km's. Doesn't seem to be a real problem

Quote:also has only 2 pinions instead of 4 so the lockup is less precise.
This sounds like marketingspeak to me. What does less precise lockup mean in practice?

Quote:And stock is just a 1-way. For drifting a 2 way would be best since it works when you let of the gas.
Why do you need two way? The way I always understood it an LSD helps you put the power down when you lift an inside tire. When I'm decellerating I'm not trying to put any power down, so what gives?
I'm not saying that there isn't a reason, just that I don't know it but would like to.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
AE86 LSDs
Hey Nohachi,

The 2way thing has little to do with putting power down on the groundSmile There is more to LSD then putting max power on the floor. There is also an element of control, but what Aico is most refering to is the fact that during drifting your want your tires to be locked together as often as possible, during accel and during decell.
But I am no expert. Fact is though that its a whole lot easier to get into and maintain a drift when you have a 2way LSD.

In the end they did invent those things for a reasonSmile

I was wondering, I thought the hachi LSD was a 1.5way diff? Can't remember the exact definition of 1.5way but I do remember that the hachi diff falls into this catagory... It does more then just lock on accell...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
AE86 LSDs
Question about LSD: which is best LSD for ice & snow surfaces? Our LSD didn't work on very slipery road (races on ice). On gravel sometimes it works, sometimes not. At the begining we thought that we need to rebuild it. Maybe TRD or other aftermarket LSD is much better choice?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
AE86 LSDs
What do you mean by "didn't work very well". What didn't the car do that you wanted it to do?

03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
AE86 LSDs
NoHachi Wrote:What do you mean by "didn't work very well". What didn't the car do that you wanted it to do?
Poor acceleration with just one rear wheel spinning. I think both wheels should do that.
03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
AE86 LSDs
gt99,

sounds like you need a rebuild, my stock LSD worked just fine on snow...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

03-30-2005, 03:09 PM
AE86 LSDs
If 1 wheel is spinning your LSD is worn out.

The stock LSD or a rebuild will be good enough if you use it to go shopping, use low grip tires or use it on very low grip roads. But when you're going to drift a lot with good tires and more power then a stock LSD won't last very long.

The less strain on the LSD the longer it will last. And with the 4 pinions you get an even pressure on the disks. With just 2 pinions the pressure on the disks can be uneven. Imagine a circle and pressure is put 12'clock and 6'clock. With a 4 pinions you also get 3 and 9'clock. This way you get a more even pressure on the disks.

And when you're getting an LSD because the inner wheel is lifted from the ground then you're buying the LSD for the wrong reasons. Yes it will solve your problem, but the beauty of a LSD is the way it helps your cornering even without lifting the inner wheel.

If you've driven in an open diff car and a LSD car you should know the difference and magic of a LSD. Strange since you already have or not?

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 LSDs]
03-30-2005, 03:47 PM
AE86 LSDs
I shouldn't have said "lifted". What I meant was when your inner wheel is unloaded enough to generate (inner)wheelspin. If you're not experiencing any why bother.
I do understand what you mean by "magic", to me its mostly to be able to steer by throttle manipulation. But that alone makes you no faster, its a driver fault not the cars.
So far no LSD has its charms too. Certainly when combined with wheelhop. Makes for an interesting concert while cornering

03-30-2005, 04:27 PM
AE86 LSDs
Well the catch under acceleration offcourse is that in case of heavy cornering you may not be having any wheelspin, but all the power still goes mostly to only one wheel that then brakes grip if you push the accelerator even more.

With LSD power is divided between the wheel with the least grip (but still having grip) AND the wheel that has the most grip making it possible to use more power and accelerate faster without spinning the inner wheel.

So the maximum power you can put down on the road is much higher with an LSD then without because you can put much more power on the road with the wheel with the most grip before traction is lost by overpowering.

This effect works even better with torston diffs, while a clutch diff will attempt to put equal power to both wheels, potentionally loosing power to the wheel with the least grip slipping, a torston diff will put more power to the wheel with the most grip. But for the same reason a torston diff is harder to drift, its harder to brake traction and once traction is broken suddenly the torque converter has no torque left to convert and you immediately loose all power to the wheels, it's like putting the car in neutral in the middle of a drift (all in my lamemans terms offcourse, but this is how my simpleton brain interprets what I've read about them).

What I do not know any theory about is what good locking the wheels does during deceleration. Obviously there is an advantage because people put down faster lap times when they have a 2 way diff. But I dont understand what it is because with deacceleration locking the diff would only result in more difficult cornering because the rear wheels wanne go straight ahead. It cant be more braking power, your brakes should take care of that, unless maybe braking on engine power has something to do with it......

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

03-30-2005, 05:20 PM
AE86 LSDs
mux213 Wrote:What I do not know any theory about is what good locking the wheels does during deceleration. Obviously there is an advantage because people put down faster lap times when they have a 2 way diff. But I dont understand what it is because with deacceleration locking the diff would only result in more difficult cornering because the rear wheels wanne go straight ahead. It cant be more braking power, your brakes should take care of that, unless maybe braking on engine power has something to do with it......

Sorry! I know answer, but This is above my english Sad. Cars without LSD are more stable in corners. That's because one rear wheel is just rolling. In drifting it's bad thing. So LSD even in decelerating helps rear wheels loose grip. Thats similar to fwd and understeer - front wheels sooner loose grip, because they get torque from engine (and peaple say fwd with LSD has awful handling).