AE86 @CA18DET
06-30-2007, 10:41 PM
AE86 @CA18DET
I am so happy that Menti reply his thread in English Tongue So I can understand what happening now Tongue

BTW I think we should keep in english no?

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver
Find all posts by this user
06-30-2007, 10:41 PM
AE86 @CA18DET
Yep, i was looking also for some Turbokits for the Hachi, but the CA will be the best solution for me.

I have experience with this engine, i can get all the parts for reasonable prices and i`m swapping a SR into my S13, so the CA can just go in the Hachi.

And in reference to my mate (he drove the CA and turbo`ed 4A in the Hachi) - The CA is way better in terms of torque (powerband) and got more potential (in stock terms).

So there`s absolutely no way that i put a supercharger or something else on the 4AGE, it would much much more expensive for me and i will have to do the internals.

Besides, i`m absolutely no fan of superchargers, nana - no way.

Power Goal is around 220 hp with the normal T25 for the beginning, later maybe a GT28RS Upgrade, response is more important than raw power for me.

Here are some pictures from the current Engine Bay Tongue

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 @CA18DET]

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 @CA18DET]
06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
AE86 @CA18DET
SekiguchiUeno Wrote:Hallo

sehr schoner AE hab ihm in toyotas.de gesehen sieht super aus, als wuerde er von grunde aus neu gemacht. Waere es ein 3 tuerer dan hast du ihn nicht Tongue

Was den motor betrifft ist es ein gelungenes ersatz, alles passt von der abmesungen aber das weisst du ja schon sicher, 4agte ist auch eine moeglichkeit aber um alles an dem motor umzubauen und dann mit dem swachem getriebe kaempfen da besser den CA samt allem zubehor einzubauen, da hoffe ich dan ihm in natura zu sehen.

Thumbs up!

Stan

Der Motor wurde vor ca. 2.500 km überholt, eigentlich schade drum ihn direkt wieder auszubauen, ich weiss, macht mich auch bisserl traurig Big Grin .

English:

The engine was rebuilt aprox. 2500 km`s ago, it`s a bit sad to remove it already, i kn0w Sad *sneeef*
06-30-2007, 11:38 PM
AE86 @CA18DET
200hp are easy available with unopened stock 4AGE. For more than that is good to change gearbox and rear end. You can use CA18DET ("free" for you) + gears but rear end still must be replaced over 200hp.
With investment for STOCK forged 4AGZE pistons numbers can cross 300hp for realiable setup with STOCK internals if the 4AGE engine use late/ or GZE crank and conrods (20mm pin, 42mm big end). CA18DET comes with cast pistons if I remember well, will it live with 300+ hp setup with stock ones ?
4AGTE (turboed 4AG(Z)E) engines are often underestimated - they have enough torque and still can be revved high.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2007, 11:44 PM
AE86 @CA18DET
200 hp with a turbo or with a N/A setup ? Wink

200 hp N/A would not be THAT cheap i think.

Engine internals of the CA are capable of 300 +-, big oil cooler, Air/Fuel Gage and a EGT are a must have.

I would have swapped the differential anyways, so i`ll get me a diff from TRD.

I`m pretty sure the 4AGZE would be a nice alternative, but as i said, definetly more expensive for me.

I only have a limited budget, cause i have to finish my SR Swap in the S13 too.
07-01-2007, 12:10 AM
AE86 @CA18DET
If power is your goal, then the CA18DET is the probably the cheapest and easiest option out there... Offcourse a 4A-GE can be brought up to 200+ reliable hp..any engine can, but not without mayor cash injections and a lot of work. All a CA18DET needs is for you to plug it in (almost bolt in) and wire it up....if you see the swap up close, it really starts to make sense. Almost as if it was supposed to go in there.

By the way Menti, if response is your primary objective, why not try a GT2554RS or GT25RS instead of 2556 (28RS). It'll still make 250RWHP and have non-existant lag.

The problem with the rear end of the AE86 is not the LSD, so switching to TRD is no improvement in reliability. Its the ring and pinions that need to be adjusted a lot more often and the drive-shafts that snap.
Having said that, the ones in our hachi should have died..knowing how Kyle drove it. And I know I wasn't very subtle with it either. But it hasn't died...yet. Only time will tell.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-01-2007, 12:25 AM
AE86 @CA18DET
So you`re the Guy with Kyle`s old Hachi ? Wink

I`ll put a normal T25 in it, a better turbo will follow when my wallet is in a healthier condition :]

A ball bearing T25 crossed also my mind, yep, i`m not sure yet.

Friend of mine made the drifeshaft for Kyle`s 7M Project, he`ll make mine too, ì have no worries about that, it`ll work Wink
07-01-2007, 12:29 AM
AE86 @CA18DET
Menti we all talk about turboed engines in this thread.

Quote:200hp are easy available with unopened stock 4AGE
That means you can add turbo to stock 4AGE and get easy and reliable 200hp even without opening the engine (if you have good 4AGE, not "rebuildable core" only). The internals will hold that power level, gears and rear end - too. Over that you must change gearbox and rear end, the engine upgrade is not the main problem here (4AGZE or late 4AGE is straight bolt-on, Toyota still sell 4AGZE pistons and they are cheap fo you can build 8:1 or 8.9:1 CR 4AGTE turbo engine with forged internals at low cost).
07-01-2007, 12:42 AM
AE86 @CA18DET
he has still an CA18 in garage, so the costs are lower for him, and you forgot motor management. you need standalone for 4agte.

ok i keep it english, sorry

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
07-01-2007, 01:25 AM
AE86 @CA18DET
No, I didn't forgot that.
In the same situation I will sell the CA18DET, buy header, Megasquirt and injectors (if not use CA18DET ones), use T25 and I still will have more than 1/3 of money from this sale. At this point he will have the 4AGE ECU and injectors free for sale also Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Germany AE86 CA18DET project ragenasian 15 23,775 03-29-2010 10:04 PM
Last Post: ragenasian