ABS for AE86?
05-04-2010, 11:54 PM
ABS for AE86?
Hey guys...I am thinking to get myself a AE86 but I am not an expert in cars...I am wondering if AE86 has an ABS in it or not? If not can we install one to it? cheers...
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
ABS for AE86?
No ABS brother.
Just learn to lift your foot off and on if you lock the brakes. Pulse braking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2010, 12:10 AM
ABS for AE86?
can I install one then?
05-05-2010, 12:21 AM
ABS for AE86?
I'm sure it can be done.
The ABS system is independent from all other systems in a car, it should be possible. I'm guessing the cost involved will be the deciding factor here.

Any particular reason you want ABS?

I think one of the real attractions of an AE86 is because it doesn't have any driver aid systems, it's a ball of fun to drive. My thoughts anyway.
05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
ABS for AE86?
thx mate...becoz I thought it would be more safe to drive the car to have ABS especially in uk it always rain and snow...so do u think i should get it or not?...coz will it be dangerous to drive? and one more thing...do i need to get the AE86 spec. change to uk after importing from Japan?...cheers...
05-05-2010, 01:04 AM
ABS for AE86?
I personally wouldn't bother.
It all depends on how you drive. I have been driving for 12 years, all my cars don't have ABS, live in Southland New Zealand, so we get heaps of rain, snow etc and have never needed it. I learnt to pulse brake when I was a kid on the farm in the ute doing skids in the paddock, which is the same as ABS.
We have a race AE86, ABS is definitely not a good thing in that, and you tend to use the throttle to get yourself out of trouble.

Biggest thing, don't do stupid shit on the roads and you won't need ABS.
and if you do, learn to drive out of your cock up with the throttle as apposed as the brake.

As far as the UK spec, I wouldn't have a clue. Need to talk to you local MOT (i think it's called that, here its WOF) inspector regarding changes needed to put on the road.
05-05-2010, 02:56 AM
ABS for AE86?
you're really my star...thx alot...sorry can u tell me how can I perfrom pulse brake...cheers...
05-05-2010, 03:01 AM
ABS for AE86?
No worries man,

Pulse braking is easy.
If your in a situation where your locked up, heading to certain doom, jab the pedal with your foot, just on and off repeatedly . It's the same as ABS, but sort of the manual application.

Try it in a open paddock area to get the feel, or a big wet bit of tarmac.
It might take a while to get the hang of it, your brain will be telling you not to lift your foot off the brake, but ya gotta get past that.

Give it go.
Cheers
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
ABS for AE86?
Thx alot...i will try and have ago...so do u own a 86? I really wanted to get one in the future...now saving money to do so...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ABS problem sergiocharged 1 2,655 10-03-2008 09:30 AM
Last Post: sergiocharged
  ABS brakepads pics - 16 euro rear set Ryo 2 3,904 06-07-2005 04:49 PM
Last Post: Ivan141