cusco brake cylinder stopper
07-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Hey everyone i did a search but couldnt find what i was looking for..

just want to know the benfits of the cusco brake cylinder stopper and how it goes on.. work involved and how i do it??

thanks everyone
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Hmm...work involved: maybe drilling a few holes I think..just judging by looking at pics of the darn things. The way it works is it stiffens up the location of the brake master cilinder. Normally this is only mounted to the firewall, and when you brake hard, it will flex a bit, losing some braking power exerted on the pedal. The stoppers are usually fixed to the suspension turret (which is pretty sturdy), and then adjusted to make contact with the front tip of the master cilinder. So when you brake and the firewall starts flexing (on my trackday volvo it flexes visibly about 0,5 or more centimeters!) it pushes against the stopper, this will reduce flex by a fair amount.

Just a note: another company (aerodyne or something I believe) also makes stoppers that look a bit less fancy, but are a lot more affordable.
All in all it's a mod I would do last when upgrading the braking system.. just like braided brakelines it is basically the icing on the cake, that you will barely notice if the brakes themselves arent working optimally.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
wow thanks heaps for that reply that was a great help, yer im getting my brake system up to scratch by putting in braided lines, slotted and vented rotors rebuilding the cailpers and mu secret or endless pads.. so if i put that in id say it would be the icing on the cake.. should be good.. i'll keep you guys posted when im done.. hopefully a couple of weeks

thanks again
07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
It depends.. the stock caliper has a lot of compliance due to the floating caliper design, so you might not benefit a great deal from the little bit of extra precision you gain from a stopper, and I very much doubt that the ae86's firewall is as crappy as the one on my volvo (I cant see it moving much on my coupe).
On the other hand, it can be had cheap, looks nice, and might help a little...so go for it regardless if you want it. I think every upgrade that actually helps brake performance (even if it's just a little) is worthwile as long as you can afford it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-22-2006, 03:19 AM
no worries thanks for that ive got another question..lol
07-22-2006, 11:27 AM
it will be dead easy to make one. I have one on my RHD car and its stripped down - will try and get some pics of it for you dude.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - cusco brake cylinder stopper]
08-06-2006, 10:18 AM
pumpkinking
Try hairywally on toymods or ae86 driving club in syd as he has had some made , or ring 0404069285 and tell him squeak told you about them

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,236 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Cusco Powerball Headers on a NA 4AGE 16V? JDMitch 11 19,129 05-01-2021 10:09 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Brake advice - master cylinder mannix20vt 12 12,792 08-21-2017 03:21 PM
Last Post: Project D
  What is normal and low caster in Cusco camber plates?? T_AE86 9 14,221 01-07-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  Correct connection brake master cylinder? bozu 5 6,738 07-26-2015 12:28 PM
Last Post: bozu