2JZ-GTE in an AE86 GT questions
11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello Folks,

My friend has done with this swap mechanically, but having doubt about the possibilities of ECUs.

The target engine is a JDM twin-turbo 2JZ with MAP sensor and 6-gear manual tranny, but he doesn't have any ECUs to try with (don't ask why, long story...).
It is clear, that the easiest way would be to buy a programmable ECU (and pay for programming it), but
the car is not intended to be a racecar, so it doesn't really need to have a easily tuneable ECU (or tuneable at all), after the setup is complete, and the engines is working in the car.

On my proposition, he's thinking on a factory Toyota ECU (chosen for exactly this kind of engine, of course) without any modification or piggy-back. This would be a low-cost solution, 'cause there is a ECU for sale (with added or w/o traction control ECU) and it's price is about 1/3 of the cheapest programmable ECU.

The base of the question is: does the main ECU certainly need the signals of traction control ECUs to run?
I'm not sure if the AE86's running gear could give any kind of signals for it...

Thanks for any kind of help!

AndrewGL
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
There are 3 related boxes in Supra - Main ECU, ABS ECU and TRAC ECU.
ABS ECU has inputs from wheel sensors, processes it and feeds data to TRAC ECU and also does the usual ABS stuff with brakes.

I know for sure that you can remove the TRAC ECU and everything else still works. I have not verified it myself, but I believe that you can also remove the ABS ECU, since it uses data from main ECU, but not the other way around.

So the short answer is - the main ECU should be able to work without the other boxes.

EDIT: I am not sure at the moment from where the main ECU gets the SPD signal, have to look at the wiring diagrams to find out.
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Fii Wrote:There are 3 related boxes in Supra - Main ECU, ABS ECU and TRAC ECU.
ABS ECU has inputs from wheel sensors, processes it and feeds data to TRAC ECU and also does the usual ABS stuff with brakes.

I know for sure that you can remove the TRAC ECU and everything else still works. I have not verified it myself, but I believe that you can also remove the ABS ECU, since it uses data from main ECU, but not the other way around.

So the short answer is - the main ECU should be able to work without the other boxes.

EDIT: I am not sure at the moment from where the main ECU gets the SPD signal, have to look at the wiring diagrams to find out.

Thanks Fii Smile
Edited: Maybe the gearbox gives analog SPD signals to the dashboard, and the dasboard gives signals (digital) for the ECU, like it works in the blacktop?

AndrewGL
11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I am sure that there is no speedo cable, but maybe there is a sensor on the gearbox, I don't remember.
11-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Anybody else?

AndrewGL
12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
^bump^

AndrewGL
12-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't you have more succes on a toyota Supra website? I doubt whether there is a lot of expertise here with 2JZ engines, there isn't that many swaps that have been done. Certainly not in Europe. I could imagine that supra people know this stuff like the back of their hand?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Aside from the technical issues you might be facing, don't you think 2JZGTE is a tad heavy for a hatchi? Handling is gonna be a problem

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 2JZ-GTE in an AE86 GT questions]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Questions were answered, this setup is working with factory ECU and without traction control ECU and ABS ECU.
You can see first startups and tests about the car here (youtube videos as well):
http://www.ae86.hu/hu/2010/03/21/2jzgte-...szornyrol/

Thanking the replies to everybody.

Topic can be closed.

AndrewGL
03-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Fii Wrote:There are 3 related boxes in Supra - Main ECU, ABS ECU and TRAC ECU.

My MKIV Supra didnt have a traction control or ABS ECU... it was a 1993 model.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop - New Haltech ECU & Couple of questions 20valver 8 310 04-25-2024 12:39 PM
Last Post: 20valver
  Brake Bias Questions mad.matt 10 9,834 01-03-2019 04:54 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  4A-GTE 7-rib smallport nyberrg 5 5,766 05-24-2017 09:24 PM
Last Post: krullibull
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,636 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  Suspension questions leon205gti 17 13,313 04-30-2016 09:26 PM
Last Post: krullibull