AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides
07-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Beautiful!

http://86life.wordpress.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Thats awesome, love the E30 M3 style fenders.

I think they will really complement the lines of the car!

Cant wait to see it painted and on the ground.

Smile

Haaatschi! - Gesundheit!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Feeesh Wrote:Thats awesome, love the E30 M3 style fenders.

I think they will really complement the lines of the car!

Cant wait to see it painted and on the ground.

Smile

Thanks, that was the mission, to try and keep the original lines of the car.

Cheers

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
07-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Now the rear brake saga continues. The original AP kit that I had made for the rear catered for mounting the AP race caliper only. This would be fine if it was a only a track car but the intention was for it to be road legal here in the UK as well so I needed to mount the original caliper and use the cable handbrake facility on that caliper for it to be compliant and pass the UK MOT.

So the bracket that came with the rear AP caliper as been discarded and a new one designed to cater for mounting both calipers.

The new brackets will be laser cut and should be ready soon Big Grin

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, B...mp; Brides]

07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Using those small Wilwood spot calipers is not MOT compliant? Those that are made specially for handbrakes? It would definately save you a fair amount of unsprung weight..which is the achilles heal of the rear AE86 setup.
The OEM stuff is pretty hefty.

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperL...ech%20Spot

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Im sure they would work, not sure if the bolt holes are the same as the OE rear calipers, maybe upgrade later if they are. The car will be light anyway so Im not to worried Smile

07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Bolt holes are definately not the same.. so you'd need to fab up some kind of different bracket (if still possible).

The unsprung weight problem (sadly) becomes even greater on a light car. Its the ratio of unsprung (wheels, axles, 1/2 the controll arms, brakes, etc) to sprung weight (chassis, etc) that is important. If the car is relatively light compared to the unsprung weight, then a disturbance in the unsprung weight will have a big impact on the chassis. Its the reason why big saloons drive relative cushy and grip well.. the suspension can easily soak up wheel movements.
Sorry if this sounds like small stuff, but it really makes a huge difference to the feel of the car..particularly at speed over a rough track (and all the fun ones are :-) )

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-23-2010, 06:37 AM
NoHachi Wrote:Bolt holes are definately not the same.. so you'd need to fab up some kind of different bracket (if still possible).

The unsprung weight problem (sadly) becomes even greater on a light car. Its the ratio of unsprung (wheels, axles, 1/2 the controll arms, brakes, etc) to sprung weight (chassis, etc) that is important. If the car is relatively light compared to the unsprung weight, then a disturbance in the unsprung weight will have a big impact on the chassis. Its the reason why big saloons drive relative cushy and grip well.. the suspension can easily soak up wheel movements.
Sorry if this sounds like small stuff, but it really makes a huge difference to the feel of the car..particularly at speed over a rough track (and all the fun ones are :-) )

I hardly think two extra calipers is going to make much difference when the new wheels, suspension componants, arms and new calipers are lighter than the OEM equipment. Its still heading in the right direction Smile

Besides.....

Do you think it will ever get driven other than to the museum for its glass case? Big Grin

07-24-2010, 03:16 AM
wow how do you guys over there ,get that thing registered when 1 you have cut all off the engine bay sides off etc and 2 put in a full cage ,modify fuel tanks etc
our racing rules over here are as if car comes from factory has to stay as factory ,but brakes are free engine has to come from say toyota car for a toyota etc if car came out with 5 speed must run 5 speed largest tyre and rim for under 3 liter car is 7inch wide with 225 tyres ,front spoiler is free and rear as well but front spoiler must be 100 mm off the road and car must remain in a road worthy manner
if conrads car was over here in australia it would be deemed a full on sports sedan and run in under 2 litre ,also engine would have to be tagged to prove that it was under 2 litre
07-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Hi Glenn,

The car is already registered here so no problems on that front. If it hadnt of been and I had imported it like that it has to go through an ESVA test to be allowed to get it registered.

As far as the yearly road worthiness test goes (the M.O.T) then provided it brakes, steers, the lights work and it meets the emissions for the year of the vehicle, has seatbelts or harnesses fitted and the wheels / tyres cannot protrude from the arches then it will get a ticket.

As for racing, well that depends on the series as each class has different rules and no doubt it will slot in somewhere.

Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 148 154,428 04-23-2024 10:06 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 82,861 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 695,839 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Beams Levin build mannix20vt 5 8,712 01-27-2016 12:39 AM
Last Post: mannix20vt
  Another AE86, Duracell. Now with VEMS, and cage... Uzelac 62 84,391 06-22-2015 02:56 PM
Last Post: Uzelac