fast and the furious : tokyo drift
07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Ivan,

Well I was looking at more recent movies, if you look at the 70s and earlier movies, yes there are some great driving movies out there where the actors knew what they were doing and mr mcQueens aint the only example.

But I wasn't really talking about the driving skills per cee, but it springs to mind that if you look at the recents box office (action) movies and TV series for that matter, alot of them really have nothing to do with their real life counter parts.

For us car enthousiasts its easy to spot the nonsence in driving movies like fast and the furious (vin diesels brilliant remark about dubble clutching on an upshift for instance), but the same goes for others aswell, take the run of the mill gangster action movie and then ask a real gangster what he thinks of it and his comment would probably be like "that aint nothing like the real thing, the guy is stupid ashell, you do that in real live, you'd be dead or in jail in seconds".

The question is, does that make the movie less enjoyable? Would a movie about the dialy life of a real gangster be as interesting as the movies we watch about gangsters?

The same, is the live of a police detective as interesting as Colombo's?

Is being a forensic detective such a brilliant job as CSI makes you think, and do those guys really make sence? (just watch the real live counterpart on discovery and be boooooored to death). I'm sure a real forensic detective can't believe the faults that are in CSI.

Would a car movie about real street racing/drifting be as fun to watch as a movie like the Fast and the Furious I, II, III, whatever?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Apolan Wrote:Yep! Smile And i agree with you mux, if one went to see the movie with expectations of some realistic drifting and racing, one missed the time and space of his beeing.. i knew this movie's gonna be a laugh and a laugh it was.. i had so much fun. Big Grin But the japanese theme really made the movie 10 times more fun for me.. ("Ready, seto, gooo!" Big Grin)

Well thats an interesting thing indeed. It being in japan sure was fun for us japan lovers but I do wonder about alot of things. Like I mention ask a real Jakuza about his life in comparison with Tokyo Drift and he'd probably slap you in the face.

But on the same note, how much is real from the school things, the way foreigners are treating, etc.? I'm sure some of the people on the forum that have actually been to japan can clue us in which bits were just stereo type or cliche, and which bits were real and which things are actually worse in Tokyo then in the movie.

Think of things like drifting past the speed cops, there is a matter of truth there but this was rubbing it inSmile but also some of the club stuff and those little cuby sleeping things in han's (or whatever his name is) garage living whatever thing.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

07-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Just yesterday I was watching a dvd that the Doctor brought where guys were drifting like madmen on an open city road in broad daylight....so there is some truth to the stories I'm sure.

NoHachi has a few stories to tell about japanese behaviour towards foreigners I think..

Just a fun little fact for you guys loving that it was in japan: Most of the scene's where shot in the USA, they even transformed LA streets to look like tokyo using japanese signs etc... so a big part of the japan scenes you liked were shot in the US of A Tongue

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:Just a fun little fact for you guys loving that it was in japan: Most of the scene's where shot in the USA, they even transformed LA streets to look like tokyo using japanese signs etc... so a big part of the japan scenes you liked were shot in the US of A Tongue

Thumbs up! I already tought about it.. Tongue

[offtopic]So I rather watching video drifting from opt-v.co.jp Thumbs up![/offtopic]

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver
07-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Hahahahahahaha, that kinda makes sence, you can't really drive a car through tokyo without getting stuck in trafficSmile (not to mention that production costs are much lower if you shoot alot in the USSmile)

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

07-22-2006, 12:42 PM
As mux said before it really doesnt matter what the reallity is; i dont care if they shot the whole thing in a studio, if they make it as it is.. and the clichees of the japanese culture included in the film i took seriously just about as much as the drifting in the film.. in my eyes it was just a thing to make the movie more fun / funnier Big Grin.

I really hated the remarks of some people during the film. few examples: "Yeah riight, that cant be true" or " haow can he beat taht guy if that car has a bigger turbo" and "tha car can only have about 300 hp not 500" etcetera.. i mean, hellooo! did you come here to se a documentary or a movie..

So with the distance kept, one could really enjoy this movie, no matter how skilled one is in RL mechanics/drifting/racing etc..

What really was funny is the rewiev of teh film, one of our leading weekly magazines wrote. I dont remember the whole deal but here's what i remember and it went somthing along the lines of theese: "The drifting is loosing control of the car and controling it in taht state... japaneese use "rice-rockets" (thats just ignorant!!).... everyone also have "the magical substance that makes the car really fly (i think they were talking about nitrous).... and with the aid of standalone fuel managment system they get monstrous acceleration.."

There was alot more written to that effect, but i think you get the picture.. Big Grin f*cking idiots Dumb question
07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Nopes, sounds like 99% af the population..not counting the 1% idiots who actually take the time to dive into car tech instead of just letting the mechanic sort it.

The definition of drifting is quite accurate I think...wasn't it something along the lines of making the car seem as out of controll as possible, without it actually being out of control?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-15-2006, 05:21 PM
'D'K' in the movie has a Corolla....

because the Han asks the "yakuza guy" when he will put his 86 corolla up, and he replies, when will you put your 72 skyline up... or something along those line.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - fast and the furious : tokyo drift]
Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
dAYTONA Wrote:'D'K' in the movie has a Corolla....

because the Han asks the "yakuza guy" when he will put his 86 corolla up, and he replies, when will you put your 72 skyline up... or something along those line.
Yeah, but it doesn't feature in the movie Crying

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, but they show thats it too valueble to drift ;-)

makes me wanna slide mine more and more ;-)

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 in fast and furious I Kammi 3 6,307 07-12-2011 10:42 PM
Last Post: flpgacitua
  ae86 in fast and furious 4 jleon426 14 22,864 07-14-2010 09:02 PM
Last Post: Mardoc
  Tokyo Pop American Dubs Mux213 3 4,871 10-14-2004 10:46 PM
Last Post: Donut