aftermarket 2way LSD setup(locking % strength)
07-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi, I'm currently in the market for an LSD for my ae86.. I'm leaning towards a Tomei 2way LSD which I have heard good things about. My dilemma is I'm not sure how I wish to have it setup, locking strength wise. Since I will probably to do more typical autocross and track days then drifting events as it being my primary street car I'm a little nervous about just going with the out of the box setup which I would assume is more geared to drifting since that is what the vast majority of the people who purchase them will use them for. IIRC kaaz's are set at 100% out of the box.. and for reference my understanding is that bmw m3's are around 25%. So any recommendations for good compromised setup to do it all? Also, assuming you guys recommend with a much lower then out of the box setup.. since I'm not focused on just drifting would the aftermarket LSD still be that much more beneficial to an OEM ae86 1.5way LSD?

Thanks.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - aftermarket 2way LSD setup(... strength)]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2007, 09:54 AM
The Toyota factory LSD works just fine for stock or near stock power.
You need to make sure that it is in good condition... they do loosen
up after high miles or excessive abuse... like any clutch Smile

For normal street driving you won't even notice that it is there, but it
will stop one wheel losing traction when turning on wet or slippery
surfaces. Its both wheels or nothing Tongue

You only need a bling aftermarket LSD if you have big power, or plan
to abuse your power train with burnouts, clutch kicks and the like.

Cheers... jondee86

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.
Find all posts by this user
07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
if you want nice daily drive actions, but an uprated LSD, then go for the TRD 2 way Smile

I've got one too, it locks up pretty nice, but not as harsh as i've heard from others who have a KAAZ or other LSD.

It won't lock as much as the KAAZ, but it's enough Smile

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
07-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm running an oem LSD with the thickest plates available - Like the T3 rebuild kit. It locks up great - maybe even too much for grip! Downside is that you can't decide to go with a 2-way LSD (or 1-way for that matter). I know it will wear out quicker than TRD, but it is pretty cheap to rebuild. I spend about $100 Thumbs up!

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
OEM 1.5 way lsd is a great unit. better than some people actually know of cos its a very good unit out of the box. an m3 lsd or nissan VLSD are pure crap outa the box and if u tried using em on a trackday car or drift car u would be pretty poor cos they wud be working against you. they are designed as a "average joe" diff that wont bite u in teh bum like other diffs...like the oem corolla diff! Smile

for trackuse id go with a trd 1.5 way cos its a tougher unit than the oem lsd but also a great compromise between track and drifting shud u want to use it. 2 way may be a bit hardcore unless u can really drive the ae86 and have it set up to your liking with one. 2 way will make it a faster car mechanically overall but as a user friendly fast road/track car the 1.5 way is perfect.

i use a Tomei lsd in my car and its great for what i use it for. drifting. only probs ive had so far with diffs is CWP failure due to clutch kicks and general wear and tear. ohh, and a Kaaz LSD is a copy of a Tomei if thats any use to you. Smile

only other unit i would recommend is a Cusco MZ but they are supposidly a noisey clunky diff but meant to be the daddy! Cuso RS is the other which is a quieter less agressive option. both designed for a drifting im pretty sure but i cant see a company designing a LSD purely for one customer base.... Confused

At last Itsuki is gone.....:o)

Who the hell is Itekani??

lol...Wataru! ????
07-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I recomend ATS Deftforce diffs for hardcore drifters.
Extreme diff for best results in drift, almost indestructable.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
07-06-2007, 11:32 PM
would recomend the TRD 2way

i have one on my car and the car was a great daily driver, never had a problem with it as a daily driver

at the minute max misawa is stil ldoing them for £300 delivered from america

but that is only for the early cars. not the later ones

DRIFTING is pushin a car against its intended design, then playing with the LAWS OF PHYSICS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aftermarket / Additional Foglights decryphe 6 8,253 07-08-2017 08:45 AM
Last Post: banpei
  4 Link setup and Traction brackets Jezza_hr 5 9,420 07-21-2014 09:12 PM
Last Post: Bean
  wiring aftermarket tachomete izanagi 7 8,498 05-21-2014 08:15 PM
Last Post: banpei
  DIV 1 rally/track suspension setup ditn 60 65,886 03-28-2013 11:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Fuel system setup 86Pilot 2 4,440 01-30-2013 04:24 PM