Wheel bearings
05-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Wheel bearings
i discovered today my front right wheel bearing has gone,(i'm guessing it's the bearing by the amount of in/out movment) i was quite shocked to find this and the amount of movement, i guess that's what happens with a janspeed, sports filter and the road noise from running on 15/195/45's. so what's the story with replacing it ? should i go genuine toyota or non genuine ? any recomendations ?
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Wheel bearings
I would look after a non-original. Often its the same bearing, if its original or non-original. As an example, you can get the rear bearings for a third the price as an original. and its exact the same bearing..

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
05-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Wheel bearings
If it's the bearing you should be hearing a lot of noise coming from it.. have you taken the time to look where the movement is coming from exactly?
And Knudsen is right. If you need to replace the bearings, you're best of finding a bearing shop and giving them the partnr's of your bearings. Usually lots cheaper than toyota.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Wheel bearings
Go for aftermarket bearing. It’s the same baring but 3 times cheaper then original in Toyota store. For that difference in price you can buy new pair of front discs and replace them, for example.

Fun is not the straight line!
05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Wheel bearings
well i'm just back from work, i had a friend collect the non-genuine bearings from a spares shop, they were given 2 types so hopefully one of them is right. i'll post the pics and answer in a couple of hours if all goes well. Thumbs up!
05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Wheel bearings
Success. Job done. Here's the story.... 200km journey tomorrow ,had to be done tonight.
Ok , jacked the car, wheel off - man those studs get tight. Popped off the hub cover , pin , cap and washer bearing fell out ( note the nut was hand tight )
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Wheel bearings]
here's the bearing's it's looking like the near box is the right one already.
next go the brake calipers, take out the too studs from behind give the caliper a good wack with a caring hammer and it's off.
the hole disc comes off bearings and all. ok now i didn't take pics because the grease went everywhere. The bearings themselves fell out but the collars required punching out with a punch. I cleaned the whole disc up inserted the new bearings , with new grease , tapped the collars into place with a selection of large sockets , bearings followed. perfect. came to put the dust collar on and it was .5mm too large so i used the original ( i managed to get out originally without damaging it )
can you spot the new ones ?
The whole thing went back together quite easy ( except the pads fell out of the calipers and they are a pain in the ass to get back in ) , loctite on the last nut . Wheel on , dropped the car , total time 1hr . Out the door sideways....

i must remember to check the nuts / studs tomorrow night...
05-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Wheel bearings
well i checked the studs and the nut on the hub everything looks prety good, i decided to check the other hub (passenger side) and discovered that the nut was also loose, look's like the last owner forgot the threadlock... anyways hachi is rollong good now, break pads next..... Banging head
05-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Wheel bearings
try searching for the VW passat ones, cause i know that my rolla is on them!!
look for the diameter and all the measurements, and i think you'll get it right!

adam
06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Wheel bearings
BTW don't ever overtighten wheel bearings... i've discovered why yesterday and after taking a day off work and 4 hours repairing , cutting , grinding, fileing i will never do it again. Banging head
06-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Wheel bearings
Just replaced a wheel bearing on my volvo today (exactly the same system). Always nice when you can work on it at a dealership...plenty of mechanics that know their stuff to help out. It's a damn messy job packing the grease into the new bearings, and getting the old bearing shells out is a pain too. I was under the impression that the bearings needed to be torqued but the mechanics just adjust the bearing so it runs without slack. Just dont forget to stake the new nut so it doesnt get loose. I could still turn the nut by hand when it was properly adjusted by the way.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Rod Bearings mister86 3 3,550 03-19-2020 03:46 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Emergency help find store with bearings france Allexz 5 4,151 09-12-2019 03:24 PM
Last Post: Allexz
  Diff bearings izanagi 11 14,724 07-05-2014 07:29 PM
Last Post: assassin10000
  Top mount bearings totta Crolla 1 3,498 01-22-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Which new bearings for ae101 4AGZE crankshaft&connecting ditn 4 6,624 10-31-2013 06:04 PM
Last Post: ditn