Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one
02-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Mux213 Wrote:However you mentioned that you found an open diff, so the question is, what do you currently have on your car? You do not change the diff unit itself to LSD, you probably can throw away the spare unit you have bought depending on what you got on your car.

Owh, you have a zenki levin, make sure you buy a zenki LSD or it won't fit, kouki is slightly different size.

I have a zenki levin (91 KW version), produced in late 1985 but sold to the first customer in Switzerland in early 1987. It has an LSD rear diff but the LSD is the only thing that is working. Diff housing and bearings are all beyond repair. The car was left standing for years, and then driven some without the diff oil. I bought it almost a year ago and went straight away to the toyota service, but it was too late. I have driven it for several thousand miles, and the noise was getting worse and worse and I had no heart to keep breaking an allready dead diff, and didn't want to risk being stranded somewhere when diff eventually blew up.
Now i have found an zenki open diff for 100 euros, and am currently fitting it, because I miss my car and will drive it even LSD-less Smile.
If I could just simply put a TRD 2-way (zenki version, ofc) into the current open diff that would be great, but I also don't mind buying the whole damn thing if it is necessary for me to have the car back as it was Smile.

If it is not possible to put LSD 'head' inside an open diff, I guess I will have to wait for one to appear in for sale section here.

Thanks for trying to help, I'm not that much into technical side of an AE86, but I like driving it very much and I hope I will learn a lot about it!

Smile
Find all posts by this user
02-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Well if the RNP of the GTS open diff is the same as for the LSD version, then you should be pretty much home free with a new LSD unit, just have someone who knows what he's doing install the LSD and properly adjust the RNP gears or you will be in a world of trouble.

I do really wonder how beyond repair your current car is,

Probably the RNP gear is shot, very possible the LSD is warn internally,so yes it would need to be replaced, but the axles should still be good, and the bearings at the end of the axles should still be good.

The bearings in the diff housing can be bought and aren't expensive. There is a guy in the commercial sales that sells all the bearings.

The RNP is expensive but a worth while investment.

Then all you need is a new LSD, but you need that anyways.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Here are some pictures that might give you some info:

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/diff-rebu...sd+rebuild

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Upgrading no-LSD diff to LSD one]
The thing in the middle of is the LSD unit half opened up, the gear around it is the ring gear (The R in RNP), that ring gear should also be around your open diff.

you'll probably need a new bearing at the side of the ring gear anyways because the ring gear won't come off if you don't remove the bearing.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
There is so much work involved in putting in the diff that it just doesn't make sense to put in an open differential. Just replacing the axle bearings is rough (or was for me anyway). PM me, I'll send you my welded diff. It was a ton of fun on the street, as well as in the parking lots. OR, spend some money on the TRD and rebuild it. I've got the KAAZ 2way now, but the car hasn't seen much time on the street since it was installed.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1987 MA70 (60-1,.70A/R; AEM EMS)
1994 Honda Accord EX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood. My rear axle is kouki, so is the welded diff. But everything else I said still stands.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Mux213 Wrote:Now I have to admit, I am not sure about the difference between an SR5 open diff rear end with drum brakes, which definately is a different axle then the GTS one, and a GTS open diff rear end compared to a GTS with LSD which might actually be the same and means that you can simply drop in an LSD. There aren't many open diff GTSs around here so

LSD and Non-LSD axle shafts are different, as are Kouki and Zenki, so there are actually 4 different axle shafts for the same rear end housing. The LSD axles are slightly shorter than the non-LSD axles. The aftermarket Cusco and KAAZ LSD units will drop into either an LSD or non-LSD carrier and accept LSD and non-LSD axles. The TRD may require you to shorten and taper your axles a little. Hope this helps.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
02-18-2008, 07:57 PM
i have a open zenki diff. and i just bought a trd 2 way and fittet, and it is working for me. it is only when you want to fit a stock lsd in the open diff you need to cut 5mm of the axel......
02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
I did not know that. That's good to know. I guess I assumed that the TRD was just a heavy-duty OEM LSD. At least I learned something today.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Erik_dk Wrote:i have a open zenki diff. and i just bought a trd 2 way and fittet, and it is working for me. it is only when you want to fit a stock lsd in the open diff you need to cut 5mm of the axel......

That was all I needed to know.. Smile New ones could be found for about 500 euros on e-bay, and with some luck I might even find used TRD 2 way. A big thanks to all of you guys. Thumbs up!

I will need new bearings for the open diff as it seems they are a bit worn, but otherwise, for 100 euros I really cannot complain. So, when I get the TRD LSD i will also change the bearings and then I hope I'll have some piece of mind.. Smile
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
better go look in Japan, not cheap, but less expensive 2ways for sale there Wink

http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/se...0jp&acc=jp

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  upgrading brake system AE86-SA 36 28,253 05-22-2012 02:07 PM
Last Post: GTRJazz
  What Diff Oil For a Clutch plate diff? jamieae86 10 12,983 12-16-2011 11:14 AM
Last Post: bakonick
  changing diff ratio, broken LSD??? fax0815 6 7,159 09-06-2011 08:19 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  weight diff head diff center fax0815 5 6,085 12-21-2010 03:03 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  Celica F-diff with Hilux/ Pickup Torsen diff Roye 7 10,716 04-29-2008 09:13 PM
Last Post: Roye