Something weird going on with my ride height.
01-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Guys,

My left rear wheel is sitting about 2cm's lower than my right rear wheel...I cant get under the car to take a good look, but do any of you have an idea what might be the problem? I cant see the springs behind my wheels...but my guess is that it's either a problem with the springs, or some weird stuff going on with my 4-links..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Is yout rear-axle in them middle of the car? On one of my cars the axle seems to be a bit on the righthand side...

Why motorsports? Because other sports require only one ball!
Find all posts by this user
01-21-2005, 03:09 PM
The lowering of the rear will cause axle-moving to the left side. This problem can be solved via adjustable lateral (panhard) rod.
01-21-2005, 03:28 PM
I got the same problem on Alfa, after I parked her on bad surface with hole. The springs steyed shorter after 4 hours. Next time I parker the same way, but with other wheel, and after som times, I came, and every thing looks OK.

1984 AE 86 Levin hatchback
1989 AE 92 GTi
2004 Kawasaki KLE 500

CROATIA - small country for great drift
01-21-2005, 03:48 PM
I know about the axle moving a bit due to my non-adjustable panhard rod, but it was perfectly fine before.. The only possible things that might have caused weird stuff to happen to the suspension:
-Drove with 3 passengers, all about my size, so 400kg worth of people in the car.
-Had the car on a bridge to fix a puncture in my front tire..
-Some weird preload problems due to torqueing the rear 4-link bushings with suspension unloaded.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Ivan. chec allingment with your rear bumper if its not straight than you four links or axle have nothing to do with it. Could be that the springs are moved? ???? have you tried damping it in for a various amount of times ???

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
the bumper is just fine..I noticed this because of the different distances between the tire and fenders left and right. The bottoms of both springs are in place like they should be. I dont notice any problem in driving behaviour. I think I should never have transported all those heavy guys in the car..I was probably driving on the bumpstop for quite a while. Yes you read it correctly..I only have one bumpstop installed, the other one is somewhere in my basement, found it in the back of the car after I bought it...I should cut them both a bit shorter and install. But still, if this is due to the springs sagging then I'm damn well getting some new ones from that factory..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I think of 2 possibilities: - the spring is out of its seat; - or one spring might be broken; happens sometimes wit bad quality springs... 400kg is not too much to transport; if I remember correctly, maximum load is 500kg...

Later,
Petz
01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Well I'll have to put the car on a bridge somehow very soon anyway so I'll find out in due time.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weird gearbox part2(possible trd set a) ditn 6 6,387 01-31-2016 08:01 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Something of interest to all suspension number crunchers Bean 1 3,784 01-05-2015 10:29 AM
Last Post: Uzelac
  Going 20V BT! pack 27 22,746 06-04-2014 09:27 AM
Last Post: D.O
  Effects of valve lift - worth it going higher? harkes 18 15,473 03-17-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Gear end , drive pinion height filh 5 10,354 06-27-2013 12:29 AM
Last Post: filh