Sam's AE85 Conversion
05-19-2014, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 01:49 AM by Sambo.)
Sam's AE85 Conversion
Most of this is being cut and pasted from oldschool.co.nz (check it out!), so there are a few assumptions made by me about people's knowledge of AE85 spec levels as we have a bunch of them here. Converting AE85s to run a 4age is common here, not all cars get the full AE86 spec treatment though.

For my car, I want a street legal car that I can drive to the track (and home again!) without having to worry. The other major concern that I've had is money (of course), I was a student when I bought the car, got a few different jobs, bought a house and am now a student again. So I've had a pretty minimal budget. The whole car including purchase price and parts owes me about $8000 or 5000E.

Basic run down on an AE85 is:

3AU engine (1500cc SOHC carby)
K50 gearbox (same as behind K engines in starlets and corollas)
S series rear (Again, K engine spec) with drum brakes
Tan and brown interior

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Sam's AE85 Conversion]

EDIT: This isn't my car, just an example. Below is a pic of the interior colours with an 86 steering wheel added.

1983 Toyota Trueno AE85 Hatchback

I bought this circa 2008 (I think). It was advertised on Toyspeed as rust work done, 4age 80-90% installed, heaps of spares. Great! I bought it and have spent the last five years discovering how only one of those statements was true. It had a LOT of parts including 4 k50 boxes, a spare engine and a squillion other things from the 3 or 4 AE85's he'd wrecked. It had a 7 rib smallport sitting in the hole and that was the only thing he'd done right.

The wiring looked OK, it was infact fucked. I never figured out why the clutch didn't work despite having the box on and off with 3 or 4 different people EIGHT TIMES. Basically, everything was wrong, he'd even plumbed the fuel pump in backwards so it pushed petrol back towards the tank after I sucked it through.

So, fast forward to now:

4AGE is running
W55 with Niteparts bellhousing (TRD Flywheel and clutch is en route from Japan)
TE71 T series disk brake rear and a TRD LSD ready to go in
BC Adjustables
Apexi Super Spiral headers and 2.5" 'zorst.

Full red and brown interior (My favourite!)

Various sets/pairs of wheels:
14x6.5" -2p Riverside Riverge
14x7" 0p & 8.5" -10p Gallop Racing mech
15x7 Fin wheels of some type
14" AE86 alloys
14x7" Enkei EK26 (ugly as, and suuuper heavy)
14x7" 0p Equip 01

As I said, nothing ground breaking there.

Still to go:

Finish putting the interior together

Deliver to Brendan Duncker (of niteparts/convert motorsport) and receive back with a cert.

Body work - This basically involves fixing all of the previous owner's fucked rust repairs; Plates welded over the rust around the edges of the boot, bottoms of front guards replaced in the wrong place and full of bog, a plate welded on top of the panel bang in the middle of the rear 1/4, and finally a badly made rear arch welded over the top of the rusty arch and full of welder holes and rust holes and an inner lip about twice as big as standard.

I should have up to date pics on Saturday.

Also, if anyone needs an Alarm, I cannot recommend Brad from AVS Albany highly enough (also known as XS1V on TS). He has re wired the car from tip to toe and gone wayy beyond the call of duty to help me out with it. A real legend.

I'll just get pictures when it's out of the garage tomorrow..

Had a blinder today. I replaced the oil pressure sender then we started the car and a massive geyser of oil shot out the side of the block. I'd put the new sender into a blank hole. It's fucking shit, everything in the engine bay has oil on it as well as the guards, front, windscreen and roof.

I'm also down a bottle of magnatec.

All right then. Fairly soon after I got it:

Came on these wheels:

Some sweet bog work by the last owner (post coilovers)

Mating up the W55 with Doin Donuts. Also note Uterus and my old van. Nice.

Ended up swapping these watanabes to buy back the LSD I stupidly sold to a mate.

Wishful thinking

A few weeks ago:

It has not been a good morning.

1. Got the hire trailer and found out it has no winch
2. Get a call from the hire place to say that the jockey wheel handle broke off leaving their driveway
3.. Started car (with minimum oil) to drive onto the trailer and found out that Sam the fucking rocket surgeon has put the oil pressure sensor in the wrong hole AGAIN. Engine apparently still had a fair amount of oil in it.
4. Leave the car to find block and tackle, and detergent and scrubbing brush
5. Spend over an hour cleaning driveway and getting car onto trailer
6. Deliver car (yay)
7. Drop trailer off and find out that a new jockey wheel handle is worth $136 and HireAce Glenfield accept no responsibility. Their staff member supervised us attaching the trailer, the jockey handle was correctly stowed and we hadn't even made it off their property before the damage occurred.
8. I forgot to get pictures.

Drove back to the garage!

Arrived at Brendan's workshop, put the original number plates back on and sprayed the bare metal patch (covered in surface rust) with Toyota 3D7 Red, using my hand as masking. Way less conspicuous 8-)

Got the car down the road (3 or 4 k's to it's garage) no problems and with no red and blues, but it still runs quite rich and the fuel pump is NOISY (Edit: this sounds like either low on voltage or fuel). Other than that, it felt awesome! First time driving it, ever!

I do have the rest of the interior

Back Home:

Previous oil spill

So, yeah, it's still running rich. Brendan isn't sure if it has the correct MAP sensor. Does anyone have a smallport running well/in an AE92 I could compare with? It's also running Platinum plugs which are apparently a few grades too cold. It's reeeaaally rich when cold (huge grey cloud rich), and leaves a cloud behind after a dort of wide open throttle when warm with a slow trickle of grey/black smoke at idle.

It also has quite a bad hesitation/miss under light throttle, this disappears after about 1/8th throttle or something. Possibly TPS? Makes it really hard taking off from traffic lights.

Any suggestions? http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index....ime-build/

Edit: A couple more, just 'cause.

20140314_184140_zpsa6dc02ca.jpg

20140314_184032_zps05d59645.jpg
What a goober

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index....inal-ae85/

So, the bosch 910 pump is now an issue.

Is noisy because the supply is borderline sufficient and it's developing about twice as much fuel pressure as the engine can handle. Becuase the FPR isn't really sufficient there's also a reasonable risk of fucking the injectors.

Aaaand yeah, the TPS is fucked and may not be the correct one for the ECU anyway. Choice.

So, ideally I now buy the AE86 fuel tank that's on TM (eyes off fuckers!) and find a new TPS.

Bugger.

Went for cert today and got quite a list. Not impressed with his decision that the location of the factory AE85 and AE86 brake and fuel lines isn't up to scratch. He says that Toyota putting the lines in the trans tunnel is dangerous if the driveshaft lets go. He wants them totally removed and run along the chassis rails. Fucking fuck.

The car is running slightly better with a new TPS. So that's good news I guess.

My new flywheel and clutch arrived the other day thanks to Alex at moonlight racing.

Unknown (TRD or Toda maybe?) Flywheel and TRD clutch.

Also picked these up for $70 off a facebook hustle page. Be good to be able to use 13" tyres for skids too, now I've got 13, 14 and 15 inch wheels so I can always find cheap tyres Big Grin

The car has now had everything finished for cert except the stupid brake and fuel lines, still hoping to talk Mr. Gee out of that. Should be happening in the next couple of days, awesome!

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index....ime-build/

Edit: Oh yeah, the 4.3 diff and TRD LSD (type to be confirmed) are in, can't wait to test it out.

Double edit: Check out that high roller shoe mother fuckers.

Triple edit: Bosch 910 pump out, new smaller capacity Walbro in.

AE85 (Smallport 4AGE, W55)
SA60 Carina Surf
Find all posts by this user
05-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Sam's AE85 Conversion
Very nice job. I guess your car is one of the few original cars in NZ?
And I love the Advan ADA360 rims on your van! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2014, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 05:04 AM by Sambo.)
Sam's AE85 Conversion
Thanks man!

There aren't many that are still as road oriented as mine, I wouldn't call it original though! Majority are caged 300hp+ monsters. It's interesting how many hachis overseas seem to get engine swaps though; sr20's, f20c's and 3sges if not bigger engines. Most of the big power hachis here are running turbo 4/7ages.

Haha, I really liked those wheels too. I decided to sell them with the van though, they were the only thing that really made it cool looking!

AE85 (Smallport 4AGE, W55)
SA60 Carina Surf
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 front end conversion Levin -> Trueno Electronics. gh0st 3 4,551 07-17-2021 11:20 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Ae85 Minidaxman 4 2,925 04-20-2021 09:57 PM
Last Post: banpei
  AE85 Power! From 175HP 20v to 202HP F20 4000GT 23 28,167 10-16-2014 02:53 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  LHD to RHD conversion Gardo Yeidiem 1 5,033 05-05-2014 07:28 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Stalkers daily AE85 - 7AGE stalker 32 41,278 12-28-2011 02:28 PM
Last Post: stalker