Anyone recognizes this two door AE86?
04-18-2022, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 04:10 PM by banpei.)
Yesterday I stumbled upon a post on Autoevolution where some urban explorers found an abandoned warehouse in Maastricht. It was shot two years ago, but they only posted it a few days ago. I kind of like to watch videos of urban exploring, but this time it was really cringe-worthy. These guys literally don't know anything about cars but one of them pretended he knew a lot of stuff about cars. So he mentions something the Merdedes W116 was the first car with an automatic gearbox or holds up a BWM cylinderhead and says it's the engine of the car. But then out of the blue all of a sudden this blue two door AE86 shows up:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Anyone recognizes this two door AE86?]
At first glance I thought 8A9, but it doesn't appear to be metallic enough to match the factory paint.

It's sitting on top of a set of steel rims:
Apart from the enormous amount of dust it appears to be in good condition.

You can see it for about 30 seconds from 20:15 onwards:

Later in the video they also spot three Celica A20 coupes. The knowledgeable guy spots the ST badge on the trunk and immediately calls them Ford STs. I knew the Celica was Toyota's answer to the Mustang, but it's definitely not a Ford! Banging head

Then I recalled the latest edition of the Dutch Toyota club (TACN) magazine featured a story of one member purchasing two of those three Celicas. So someone must have been selling these cars.

Anyway, I did some sleuthing and found out a company called Oldtimerhouse in Maastricht cleared out the abandoned warehouse and here is a tiny picture of the AE86:
I couldn't find the larger version so they must have taken it down from their facebook page.

Anyway, I can ask them what happened to it, but maybe someone here knows what happened to the car. But actually I'm rather more intrigued in the story before it ended up in this warehouse. The license plate JR-XP-63 indicates it has been imported into the Netherlands in November or December 1994. The warehouse was abandoned somewhere in 2002-ish, so what happened in between?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2022, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 12:09 AM by Power_uP.)
Nice find, good to see that the car was saved, maybe it'll show up here one day.

Yeah, "first automatic" in a car from "1990". Also, that place wouldn't last 5 minutes if it was in the UK. Someone from an unspecified caravan dwelling community would have emptied the entire building.

The whole place is remarkably intact after such a long time. Usually a popular urbex channel only has to make one video about a location and within one week the entire place has been trashed and vandalised.

*Edit
Okay, so I just checked their channel and holy shit I've decided I'm moving to some place in Europe. UK buildings only have to be "abandoned" for about 2 days before they get vandalised and emptied, but most of the buildings on that channel are still in good condition after many years. Clearly there is something very wrong with British people.
Find all posts by this user
04-19-2022, 09:03 AM
I spoke to somebody online a while ago.
This car was for sale with ad add stating it had both original keys and the original invoice.
What they forgot to mention was that it was in the floodings in Limburg last summer...
It is hearsay tbh..
04-20-2022, 11:20 AM
The barn was near the floods, but stayed dry. It came very close though. My mate bought 3 of the TA22 celica's you mentioned there and saw the AE86. He said it was rough, but saveble and asking price was 12.5k

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
04-20-2022, 01:36 PM
I got in contact with the owner of the Oldtimerhouse. He says he still owns it, but it's no longer for sale as he intends to keep it. I still need to ring him up and hear more about it.

04-20-2022, 04:18 PM
I just spoke to the owner on the phone. He does indeed intend to keep the car as he's a Toyota owner as well (he owns an old Bushtaxi). The state of the car is relatively rust free. There are some bubbles, but no major rust on the underside. The interior is almost complete (only missing a small trim piece) and the only thing missing are the wheels. The engine hasn't run for 20 years, but still turns. So it needs a bit of attention before starting it up.

About the estate: it's a sad story where the owner of the place was unable to do his job anymore. He used to have a car demolition company and kept the good or special cars inside the building. The AE86 was probably one of the cars he obtained this way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  geinfecteerd door het AE86 virus slowboy2 23 12,957 01-21-2007 01:18 PM
Last Post: banpei