RWD Corolla - AE86 - what is the reliable price?
03-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi!
Eu is full of RWD's Corollas - Crowns, old Celicas, Corollas - but there r no AE86 - this is the best car which connect good driving specs and unbreakable. My question is - what is the reliable (most acceptable) price for AE86 "ready to run"? - is there any problem with parts etc? Is this car breakable?

Corolla RWD looking
GG: 559899
GSM: 605310042
Moja Galeria
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2006, 12:57 AM
everything can brake. And some parts on a ae86 after 20 years intend to do so!

For a good working ae86 2000 euro's is a nice amount. Most of the times the chassis is rusted or dented r something.

Keep in mind that the AE86 is more name than real car. There are lots of cars that handle and drive better than the AE86. The ae86 standard is not such a good car compared to some newer cars.

So remeber find one but don't think its THE car!

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2006, 01:47 AM
mine breaks something all the time......

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Hehehe, have to agree, just like any other 20+ year old car on the market, unless it's been fully restored, they brake, it's as simple as that. Parts ware out, there is nothing you can do to stop it. Still Toyota made some damn good cars back then and besides rust, often repairs are cheap to do with few exceptions (like the rear axle, thats an expensive repair).

Robo's price tag is currently true for Holland when you look at 2 door Levins. If you search good 2000 euros will buy you a nice car that runs good but probably will need some body work here and there (they rust, especially in dutch climit). Try to find a 3door or Trueno and the price becomes higher. Also the car is getting more name and are harder and harder to find, so the price is starting to rise.

For other EU countries, very simply put, in UK you can expect to pay over 5000 euros for the same car you buy for 2000 euros here. Denmark the prices are also over 3500 euros and up. I have no idea what a car will cost in your country, prices very alot depending on availablity and popularity of the car.

In the end though, unless you are crazy enough (like some on this board) to strip the car bare and build it from the ground up with new or referbisched parts, or just buy one wich has been restored like that, you will always have to realize the car is over 20 years old and parts of the car are simply worn out and will brake.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi!
Yep - I'm going to Germany for 4-5 months so i'll be looking for cars in Germany, France, Holland, Italy, and maybe austria. It will be grat to find a car mechanically good - it isn't something bad when the body will be "a little" damaged - the important think is that - The car must run and drive.

How about parts for AE86? - I have found some an the ebay.de offering by D&W - are these part good to replace them or try to find original parts?

Corolla RWD looking
Moja Galeria
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
El Chueco,

Engine parts you can get just about anywhere, remember the 4AG in one form or another has been used in many Toyota's. There are plenty of tuners out there that know their stuff when it comes to these engines.

Upgrade parts are getting more available aswell, although still most upgrades you will need to get from Japan or the US. Suspention stuff and such you are most likely to find what you need there. Replacing the bushings after 20+ years should be your first priority, the shocks and springs (besides the fact the stock units are more comfort then sporty) also are often worn out after 20 years.

So far the only thing that has proved to be very expensive is the rear axle. Ring and Pinions tent to ware out and they are expensive to replace. LSD also wont last forever and repairs or replacement on those will set you back alot.

You may want to talk to daytona on this board, he just mentioned in the "how many hachis are left" thread there are plenty of AE86s left over in poland.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah - but it will be great to buy a car ready to drive and from time to time replace that part and that part and at another time another part - not whole car at one moment - it will ruin my wallet Big Grin

Corolla RWD looking
Moja Galeria
03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Oooohhh they're great at doing that! ruining wallets and all!

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I have to disagree! They don't break that often if you maintain it. However they are 20 years old and parts wear out...

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - RWD Corolla - AE86 - what i...ble price?]
03-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Jan Pedersen
completly? I'm seriuosly intrested in AE86 - but i'm not mechanic at all, so i'm worrying if i can handle it

Corolla RWD looking
Moja Galeria

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T3 lowers price Wilwood Big brake kit DJexor 3 5,921 09-10-2008 07:29 PM
Last Post: F0Bman
  What price WOULD you pay for these?... momo-gt 13 12,747 07-07-2007 09:52 PM
Last Post: momo-gt
  Front arm - Price Lipinhu 7 5,700 05-28-2007 03:11 PM