Propshaft.
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Propshaft.
Theyre is a knocking coming from the car under accelaration in low gears and turning sometimes, it seems to be comeing from the propshaft but i cant be sure, just wondering how mutch play should theyre be on the centre bearing when you go to move it up and down cause i think its this is causing the problem?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Propshaft.
There should not be too much play. Adomz had a problem with the propshaft as well:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=3031
Perhaps he can help out? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Propshaft.]
08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Propshaft.
yeah, i think i can...Smile
if you see that it has a play in the bearing or the rubber "thing" holding the propshaft in place, you should change the bearing or both, cause mine is fooked bigtime...all that rubber is cracked and it moves some 5-10mm...and makes really bad noises. i already have a replacement or it, but also ned to press out the bearing to change and mount it all together. dunno how much taht rubber thing costs, cause i got it from my friend, wich has some spares, but as i asked my part man, he said i'll need to order it from elswhere, cause noone seems to have it...that's the story so far!

will have pics when i'll change it and you'll see what i got!

adam
08-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Propshaft.
What sort of noises is yours makeing, is it similar as i described mine?
08-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Propshaft.
its really a knocking noise thats not constant and only comes now and again comeing from the propshat i think but at the same time it tends to be heard in diffirent places near the rear and sometimes near the gearbox, its a knock when accelarating in first second and third and sometimes turning to the right, i cant pinpoint it exactly and everything seems to be ok underneath.
08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Propshaft.
if it is your propshaft bearing thats worn out its normal that you hear the noise coming from different places cause its knocking against the bottom of your car and then its hard to locate the noise
another posability is thats there to many play on your pinion & crown wheel might check that to :wink: it's pretty easy to check by hand
08-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Propshaft.
well, the noise is something like when some metal piece would knowck hard to the chasis, and it happens when i'm accelerating hard and making some kinda turn

adam
08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Propshaft.
Found out that my power steering rack seems to be comeing out more on one side and is causing the part thats bolted on above the ball joint to knock off another part, its only slight but i think its causing the noise to travel around the car, anyone have a similar problem or maybe theyre is 2 different knocks. Do i need to get a new rack or get it reconditioned?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing propshaft bearing. Anything I need to know? Lauren 5 7,766 04-15-2012 02:12 AM
Last Post: krullibull
  Propshaft options Jezza_hr 7 6,819 10-15-2010 05:22 PM
Last Post: Hachi
  rear diff/propshaft clanking/banging at low speed Uzelac 5 5,101 06-20-2010 02:03 AM
Last Post: Uzelac
  Centre Propshaft Bearing - How much play is too much ? Ian.G 4 4,390 10-17-2005 08:53 PM
Last Post: richieu
  Propshaft Aico 8 6,315 04-14-2005 02:19 PM
Last Post: Aico