Rust protection
08-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Rust protection
I plan to rust proof my car before the harsh winter weather gets under way and wouldn't mind some advice on what people would recommend to get the job done as best as possible.

I have read that JDM cars already have a water resistant coating underneath the car and should be treated carefully, since, just using underseal could form a water trap of moisture already underneath the car and may just be pointless.

I'm also unclear as to whether or not there is anything I should do to prep the car before coating it, or whether or not I should be painting the car with rust preventing paint then sealing it for the best results.

If anyone could give me an idea on the DO's and DON'Ts it would help me feel confident in my cars future Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
08-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Rust protection
waxoyl all the chassis rails as this chases out moisture before undersealing as most cars that last long have been waxoyled.

i then spraed the underside with stone chip paint and then i would underseal the whole lot...

but deffo waxoyl Thumbs up!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Rust protection]
08-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Rust protection
I was considering waxoyl until I read about Dinitrol and from numerous sources, apparently results are better. It apparently penetrates deeper.

Should I be Wire brushing before painting? Dumb question
08-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Rust protection
All I can say about Dinitrol is that according to a sticker on my car, my car's been treated with Dinitrol somewhere late 80ies early 90ies.

Uhm.. where there is dinitrol, my car is rock solid

where there is no dinitrol my car is swiss cheese

Ergo, my body is in great nick, where other hachis rust away, mine is in perfect condition.. but my doors are just as rotten as everyone elses, my bootlid is ready for the scrapheap, and as a result of the watter now entering my boot, the rear part of my boot is full of tiny holes...

I love dinitrol, wish they had put it in a few more corners all those years agoBig Grin

But thats is not based on any scientific facts..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Rust protection
Sold Thumbs up! Reading through this thread http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/i...=2&t=20840
I am more than happy to apply this stuff to my car. The only other thing that can better it is a form of grease from Germany called 'Corrosionsschutzfett', however it needs heating up in a saucepan before applying and then you only have a couple of minutes in which to apply it Huh

What i'm trying to figure out, is there any need to apply anything else other than the two grades of Dinitrol or is that it? Confused

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust in trunk AnthonyStallone 11 12,962 02-18-2015 06:23 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Rust removal totta Crolla 9 8,634 02-02-2009 10:27 AM
Last Post: S.K.
  Fixing fenders? Rust protection? Bubble_Drift 2 3,449 01-03-2008 05:58 PM
Last Post: LarsZ
  Rust repair (fixation) – how to do it right ? Ryo 8 21,848 10-16-2007 12:29 PM
Last Post: Ryo
  1st rust sighting inside and some distortion faz 17 15,384 05-25-2007 10:42 PM
Last Post: faz