NEED HELP
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
NEED HELP
heya mate,

uhm, asfar as I know the 4AG never came with carbs standard, allthough I'm not 100% sure about that, I'm not Toyota expert Big Grin . There are some guys out there that make after market adapters to put carbs on a 4AG sourced from a GTS, its a common thing on cars where they put a 4AG in that originally had a carbed engine. Its just a lot easier to put a carbed engine in a car that originally had a carbed engine, no hassle with EFI's, ECU's, wiring, etc. Big Grin

So source a 4AG engine, there plenty out there, and get yourself an aftermarket carb setup. This may help you on your way: http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...04A-GE.htm

As for the engine you have right now, it's most likely a 4AC thats in there. It's a 1600 cc single cam carbed engine (there was one other type of engine which was a 1500 cc with some differences but I think that one was sold in australia).

As for the rear axle, no idea what they are sold for in the US, here in Holland they go for roughly 250 dollars. If you're not planning on going sideways just yet you can move it alittle more down the list of priorities, I don't see the benefit of going from drum brakes to diskbrakes, just alot of hassle putting new brake lines in and changing the master brake cylinder (which is also why I suggest keeping the drum brakes on the LSD axle if you deside to swap). It is a junkyard search though, LSD units themselves do not fit in the smaller SR5 axle.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
08-15-2006, 12:16 AM
NEED HELP
ok sounds like a plan. here is a good one how much power do u see fom these motos carbed and ready to go. without piston and rods,

and what about fully built carb what power am i looking at?
08-15-2006, 12:44 AM
NEED HELP
Hmmm, no clue really, I haven't played around with carbed engines myself but from what I've heard you can get pretty nice numbers. Carbed engine's can be pretty nicely tuned even without changing the internals (much). I doubt you'll have to go beyond doing some headwork and performance cams anyways once you've gotten tired playing with the carb setup itselfBig Grin

I've heard about fully tuned 4AG carbed engines reaching over the 170hp mark but I'd say the sky is the limit depending on how much your budget is and how fuel efficient you want your car to be.

But really I'm the wrong person to ask for some real numbersSmile

Anyways I'm off to bedBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

08-15-2006, 01:21 AM
NEED HELP
170 tnat's it. slow slow fomr a roll. huh.

o well i do want to do sidways after i get the motor and all done.
08-15-2006, 07:56 AM
NEED HELP
ok this guy with the tuned turbo sr5 motor. where is he, and how fast is his car? i was thinking of doing the swap with the carbs becuase then i can still get her sidwyas and then from there i have atleast have a little go and i can work on the body. and i think they sounds fucking badass too.

so with the carbs

i need.

the motor, crabs, rear end, and a manegent system ( greddy e-mange)
and that al i need to get her where i can drive her, so really. i can get the motor and while i am still drivign the AE86 i can prep the motor with the carb systems and myby do a cam and a port and polish. then just drop her in all at once and do the rear end doesn't sound to hard.
08-15-2006, 08:40 AM
NEED HELP
You are in USA. Use Ebay as primary market for your purchases !
Some estimations (in desired order):
1. Rear end GTS, LSD - $200-250 - first step in your upgrade. Get algo brake bias valve from GTS Corolla (I personaly prefer Willwood brake bias adjustable valve - $45 worth new).
2. 4AGE engine. Doesn't matter the source - any AE86, AE92, AE101, AE111 Corolla, any 4AGE equipped Celica, any MR2 with 1.6 engine will fit straght. You have a chance to get 4AGZE (supercharged) or 20V engine. $150-450 price range (4AGE from AE86/AE92 - 4AGZE or 4AGE 20V).
If you get 4AGZE or 4AGE 20V engine, forget about carburators. But you will start from ~160-170hp non-tuned (except 4AGZE from MR2 MK1 - 140 hp) !!!
3. Do some engine rebuild - at least change gaskets/rings/bearings. 4AGE don't need extensive head works unless you want 180-220hp from NA engine (racing only). You can choose thinner head gasket also - 0.5-0.8mm will raise a little your CR for good.
4. Buy carburator adapter plate - $170-250 new, a little less (maybe) used. You must be carefull - there are small and big port head styles. Just 2 styles, don't mismatch them.
5. Buy carburators (matched pair) - any DelOrto, Weber, Solex/Mikuni 40 or 45s will fit. IMHO 40s are the better choice if you don't plan to use car only for track. Estimation cost $100-250.
Buy some low-pressure (~3-5PSI) electric fuel pump also. $20-100 range (any pump in good condition will work)
6. Buy ignition management controler (MSD ?). $150-400 - there is also cheap and more flexible alternative - http://www.picasso.org/mjlj/. If you use it - you must buy some Ford EDIS components (easy available from wreckers). That way you can remove 4AGE original distributor also :-)
7. Buy racing camshafts (optional). If you decide to cross 160hp - you will need them. Any combination up to 272 wide and 8.35mm lift will work without valvetrain upgrade.
8. Buy/build 4-2-1 or 4-1 header (optional).

Topics 7 and 8 are optional and can be postponed. They multiply overall engine tuning effect in terms of more power and more response. However if you choose 7, expect a little loss of torque in low- and mid-range.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
NEED HELP
Just to add my opinion - even SR5 with good chassis worth more than badly rusted GTS. So IMHO this is good buy ! :wink:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
NEED HELP
And just to remind you,

Jamie's point #2, if you do wanne go GZE (my plan some dayBig Grin ), that does mean the whole EFI, ECU, wireloom, fuelbusiness hassle will have to be dealt with. No simple drop in, hook up, carb solution.

I'd stick to a 4AG from a AE86/AE92/MR2 MKI Smile

Owh and 170hp is plenty to go sideways with these cars. 350hp drift cars are for people that can't drift right Zax Tongue Wink

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

08-15-2006, 09:24 AM
NEED HELP
Btw,

Just checked around for you, Wraith was the guy that did alot with SR5's not the guy that worked on the turbo'd one but still, he may be able to help you as he's in the states. I haven't seen him around lately though. Maybe send him an email.

Also if you are serious about putting a carbed 4AG in, talk to WKD RWD, I just noticed he's got a carbed 4AG in his car so he can probably give you some advise on what to do and what not to do. This topic may be of interest:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=2534

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help identifying this! takumi_mt 4 300 04-05-2024 09:17 AM
Last Post: takumi_mt
  TRD ECU need help ps13michi 5 2,805 02-18-2022 10:42 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Need some help DJexor 4 4,855 03-13-2018 05:37 PM