My GZE's Tappet noise
08-07-2011, 06:13 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
Guys, my GZE after a even a non-eventful drive, starts giving this "tock, tock, tock, tock.." noise for about another 10 or 20 mins..

My mechanic says this is my tappets making a noise due to not having sufficient lubrication..

My engine has enough and more engine oil and he feels that the engine heats up too much and the engine oil becomes watery and that the tappets run almost on a watery lube..

Can this be? I haven't experienced this before with my engine for an year as its been an year since i put the engine..so I'm not convinced that this is lubrication problem and he suggests I put a oil cooler. I know this will help with the general health of the engine but how can I confirm this problem will be solved before I spend a bit more cash?

Please help.

thanks,
Heshan.

Cheated on my いたずらな女の子 and now I can't get enough of her..
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2011, 07:13 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
What are the spec's of the oil you're using? 10w40?

And you're saying it happens after start-up and for 10-20 minutes?
08-07-2011, 08:32 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
if the oil is getting 'watery' (too thin) you could try I higher grade oil i.e. 10W60 to see if this works better

another thing that would cause noisy lifters is when the shimming is out of tollerance... which can happen with age or very hard valvesprings...

need moe info to be honest to better diagnose the problem

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2011, 11:07 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
heshan Wrote:Guys, my GZE after a even a non-eventful drive, starts giving this "tock, tock, tock, tock.." noise for about another 10 or 20 mins..

My mechanic says this is my tappets making a noise due to not having sufficient lubrication..

My engine has enough and more engine oil and he feels that the engine heats up too much and the engine oil becomes watery and that the tappets run almost on a watery lube..

Can this be? I haven't experienced this before with my engine for an year as its been an year since i put the engine..so I'm not convinced that this is lubrication problem and he suggests I put a oil cooler. I know this will help with the general health of the engine but how can I confirm this problem will be solved before I spend a bit more cash?

Please help.

thanks,
Heshan.
yes I think it's possible. very hot oil will lose it's lubrication and turns to coke overtime. another cause for losing lubrication is compression loss (piston rings) -> fuel reaches the oil and attacks the oil and lowering lubrication. other way around too, oil lowers the octane of gas when mixed. so yes, when oil gets like water it lubricates less and especially possible when a cheap oil from the groceries store is used.

guessing this of course because I didn't hear it:
first thing too do is to be 100% sure what the problem is, could be some bearing too (like the bearing of an alternator) so try to locate the exact problem. after that it's finding the cause which could be a search or found easily. with an adapter under the oil filter you can fit an oil temp meter for example.

but when the car is designed not to have an oil cooler I guess that is not the problem unless you are raping the car (drifting) and have a lack of wind so it lacks cooling which drives the temps skyhigh.

there are old farts on the world with loads of experience who say 'ohh it's your <fill in part>' or they get a long metal part and put it on the engine to hear where the knocking is coming from. find such a guy if not sure about your mechanic.

53.6 Tsukuba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-AnG3LYUg
try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IiUAtoNBk
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
My GZE's Tappet noise
Well the noise comes after running the car for about 10 or 20 mins and then if I leave the car idle for about 10 mins the sounds goes away from being heard to the naked ear but if you keep a pipe cover the front of the engine you still can hear it but the noise is less..

I'm using Mobil 10w40 semi synth..

This mechanic is pretty experienced so lets see.. He'll remove the cam pulley cover tomorrow and see where the noise is coming..

A stupid mechanic replaced my water pump so hoping he didnt have anything to do with this Sad

Thanks alot for the feedback guys.. Appreciate it..

08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
My GZE's Tappet noise
heshan Wrote:Well the noise comes after running the car for about 10 or 20 mins and then if I leave the car idle for about 10 mins the sounds goes away from being heard to the naked ear but if you keep a pipe cover the front of the engine you still can hear it but the noise is less..

I'm using Mobil 10w40 semi synth..

This mechanic is pretty experienced so lets see.. He'll remove the cam pulley cover tomorrow and see where the noise is coming..

A stupid mechanic replaced my water pump so hoping he didnt have anything to do with this Sad

Thanks alot for the feedback guys.. Appreciate it..
ok, hope for you it's something in the head and not a bearing!
and the Mobil is a good oil, hope all get's good soon.

53.6 Tsukuba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-AnG3LYUg
try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IiUAtoNBk
08-08-2011, 01:56 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
heshan Wrote:giving this "tock, tock, tock, tock.." noise for about another 10 or 20 mins..

'tock'???? Does it sound like all 16 of them, because if there was such a thing as a lube problem that would cause valve noise, it would do it to most if not all of them.
Is there any reason to think that the oil temp too high, like 200C/350F? Can you spit on the sump & see it sizzle, or can you put your fingers on it briefly?

Your mechanic thinks your engine has hydraulic lifters & your mechanic is a useless BS'er and should be avoided!!!!!!!!!

So what!
08-09-2011, 06:56 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
Mechanic just told me that the noise when he kept the engine running for soemtimes has reduced after tightening the adjustment bearing around the Cam pulleys..

So I'm going to do a test run today.. Fingers crossed!!

08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
Guys, the noise explained earlier its gone now.

So it WAS the pulleys as opposed to the valves..

But NOW, there's a screeching noise that comes when I rev the engine around 5 to 6K range.. It lasts for 100 200 rpms before it goes off but today it seemed to last longer..

This noise doesn't come when the engine just gets the running temp. It comes only after running 20 or 30 mins at running temp..

I think this is a pulley as well as I don't think this has anything to do with the tappets.. but my mechanic is adamant that its the tappets..

What do you guys think?

This noise, is there even in normal running but at very low volume and increases with revs and at some unknown reason goes to a screech at a particular rev under load.. For e.g. if i rev to 6000 or 7000 without much aggression the noise doesn't come but if i floor it then it comes..

Anyone experienced this before?

My mechanic thinks that by putting the engine oil treatment ABRO engine would run better.. Is this correct?

08-19-2011, 11:06 AM
My GZE's Tappet noise
hard to diagnose things over the net but when you say screech I'm thinking a slipping belt, once the engine gets warm so does the belt and might have just enough play to slip under load where torque is high and rpms change fast. Check the tension of the belt as it must have been removed when the pulley was changed.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TRD Short Shifter Rattle Noise, It's Normal? Mattolo 19 17,153 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Clicking noise from glove box chrisae86 4 1,393 09-08-2022 11:36 PM
Last Post: chrisae86
  Noise Insulation for AE86 decryphe 1 3,665 11-03-2016 11:51 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Whining noise HELP PLEASE izanagi 10 10,966 03-26-2015 06:48 PM
Last Post: Komba
  Whining noise only in 4th & 5th. izanagi 7 9,526 09-25-2014 07:09 PM
Last Post: Uzelac