Mintex brake pads installation
02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Just installed my own set on the car, I'm going to try them out in a minute and let you guys know how I feel about these pads and see if they live up to their reputation Big Grin

A small note of caution for installing, the inner pads have a ledge on the top that is slightly larger then the stock pads, I remember Zax mentioning this before but I'm not sure if this is the same for all hachi's. I had to sand about 1mm off this ledge to make them fit fine. I'll take some pictures later on and I'll ask Mintex about this aswell and see whats up with this.

Comparing them to my old pads thats all thats different in form, there is a slightly larger area of friction material allthough the pads themselves are slightly thinner then my ABS pads (thats an actual brand here yeah Smile ). I'll take pictures of the pads together.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
02-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Okay guys,

Just came back from my run in which proved damn difficult because there is just to much traffic around here and it suddenly started to rainBig Grin

The manual sais, brake 2-3 times normally from about 50kph, then brake a few times from 80-100 kph firmly, then let the brakes cool down.

The first time I braked pedal felt softer then I was expecting and braking wasn't that much different, maybe even a bit weak all though the pedal feel may give a wrong impression. 2nd and 3rd time slowly improved a bit.

Braking from higher speeds things improved. Pedal kept feeling a bit soft, but I ended up locking my tires all the time, not something that would generally happen with the ABS pads unless I apply much more force. Still it starting to rain didn't help to give a subjective opinion... Just parked the car to let it cool. We'll see how it acts when the roads dries up and the brakes have had their cooling. Also need to try them out on the track which is the only place to get a real opinion on these things.

So far it seems they bite harder but with a much softer pedal feel, we'll see in the long run whether that is a positive thing.

Also attached a picture to show the difference in the Mintex (bottom) and ABS (top) pads asfar as size and form goes (backplate), on the left are the outer pads, their fine, on the right are the inner pads. You can see the ledge that smaller on the ABS pads then on the Mintex pads and for me atleast, that gave a small headache when installing them.
Would like some comments from you guys on this, especially people already using mintex pads, did you encounter the same thing?
If so I'll communicate this information to Mintex on Monday. I doubt they will take any sort of immediate action as they probably have to work through their stock, but hopefully they can adjust the pads for new batches they make.

Note, the ledge on the ABS pads is much smaller then needs be, you only need to sand a small amount off the Mintex to make them fit, also I recommend first trying them as they are, I really would like to find out if there is any difference in brackets on different AE86 models.

(ps, if people think this should be in its own "how to install and adjust mintex pads" technical thread, let me know, not sure if our shop thread is the best place to discuss this.. ).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Mux213 Wrote:Skassa,

Asfar as I've learned from Mintex, they do not make rear brake pads with 1144 compoundSad

Hi.

They do make them, they just donĀ“t no it Smile

Here is the part numbers for the front and rear pads, the rear dont need any grinding, like the front pads do, but are a direct drop in.
If you check the dealer catalog, there is a fullsize pic of the different pads, sp check it out,
I used it bith on the red turbo AE86, and also on the blacktop AE86.

The front is: mdb1193-1144
The rear is: mdb1198-1144

regards,
Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""
02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Skassa,

Thanks for that, we got the 1193-1144 right now, so you had to grind them slightly as well?

1198-1144, I'll ask about those then. They will probably cost more then the 1320's though...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Jep,

I have also had to grind the fronts on both the red AE, and also on this one,
It will fit without, but when they wear a bit, they will only press against the disc with half the pad,and therefore destrying the pads,

In Denmark, the rears are only around 40euro, so not that expensive.

/Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""
02-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Mux, make a how-to for this installation. You simply link that to your future customers (like me maybe) giving them a better manual for the pads than mintex does.

1987 Toyota Corolla GT coupe - for holidays oversteer
2005 Toyota Corolla - for daily understeer
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Sutter, I think I will do that the next time I will install these pads, take pictures and all that, I wanted to do it on my car first so I can try it out. I'm sure Ivan or CF or any of the others around me would mind me sticking a camera in their face while they are doing theirs.

I'm even contemplating about getting a video camera since I've wanted one for some time now anyways, would rock making some how-to video footageBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Decided to split this topic afterall. So far I'm starting to like the pads more and more. Already had my face up to the windshield once Big Grin (well in a figure of speech, its still not fully dry out there).

They do squeel a bitBig Grin

Anyways, I'll see if I can post up some more pictures tomorow cause I may have the change to take the wheels off in a dry place...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Heya everyone,

OKay tonight I suddenly had the oppertunity to finish what I started, I wasnt happy with the soft pedal feel and the brakes squeeled, but I did the install of the pads in a hurry cause I did it on our local parking lot and the weather was turning pad so I didn't sand the pads to well and didn't install the squeel plates.

Tonight we suddenly had to do some work on Oldskulls car so I found some time to jack up my car, take the inner pads out, sand that edge down properly, put the squeel plates back, bled the brakes, and voila, everything installed proper.

The way back home was amazing, weather still stuck so its wet out there, but pedal feel was rock hard now, brake responce instant, and I kept locking my brakes up due to this nastly weather.

I can't wait to try these things in the dry Big Grin

Anyways, motto of the story is, unfortunately some small adjustment is needed to the pads for them to be installed properly, but once installed, whow!

I didn't get the chance to take pictures (didn't know till to late Oldskull hadn't forgotten his camera) but I'll be sure to do this again and I will take pictures then.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-26-2007, 01:10 AM
In toyota sell news squeel plates? I remember i have one or two break...

Regards

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Mintex brake pads installation]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems Mintex M1155 pads Dino86 9 8,089 07-04-2017 11:22 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Brake PADS:) Mux213 32 40,504 11-08-2016 04:55 PM
Last Post: pack
  Mintex brake pad MDB1193 Dino86 9 8,442 02-27-2014 11:26 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  Brake Pads |BUDA| 8 9,811 04-16-2013 08:30 PM
Last Post: damusto
  Brake master cylinder for FC3S brake conversion Hachi Go 8 13,460 03-03-2011 12:06 AM
Last Post: filh