Levin - Trueno Questions
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
Never knew it was for that purpose. Wink
Anyway, about the wipers: my 1982 Carina does have the wipers hidden behind the rear edge of the hood.

It still boggles me why a lot of these things were already in the Carina but not on models at the same period. For instance why the EUDM AE86 had a second wiperarm. Or why the AE86 is often credited for the first Toyota with the "modern" recessed waterways at the top of the door while this was already implemented in the 1981 Carina coupe (the sedan still has the old metal canals sticking out on the side).

Then again: Toyota did already put a lot of the even more modern techniques in the 1980 Soarer. Cool

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Levin - Trueno Questions]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
I've been reading alot about this, and talking with people about this issue...

On the Trueno version there are 3 relays for the headlights.

Retract relay
Retract control relay
Light retainer relay

Both of there 3 relays are in the scheme i've seen for the Trueno version.

After that, i've searched the web for some pictures fromthis relays.
Found them easily and in those pics i saw the references.
Assumed them correct, went to the toyodiy to check some prices....

The weird thing is, the Light Retainer relay doesn't appear in the Japanese parts catalog, only in the US catalog. What may be this mean? This relay is mandatory in the Trueno wiring?

You can see the position of the relay right above the switch.

Regards
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
Possibly the Japanese catalogue is reflecting the Levin, no pop-up lights. Or they're out of production for so long that they've been dropped for the catalogue.

The headlight system is a nightmare, folks often throw money at it without being able to get it working. Sometimes it is the motors, the contact switches on the motors, often woring someplace that's gone bad. Honda Accords from the same year were infamous for chafing the headlight harness where it rubbed from being pulled up/down with the headlight housings.

If all else fails...bypass the mess from the factory, put some switches on the dash for "up/down" and "on/off".

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
Red Wrote:If all else fails...bypass the mess from the factory, put some switches on the dash for "up/down" and "on/off".
Exactly what I did after investigating the spaghetti and thought it was far less work. Wink

02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
Well i got someone who's specialized in this issues, guaranteed!

But the weird thing, is that the relay is missing in the Japanese versions, which might lead to the big question. Is that relay useless in the whole wiring?
02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
A friend gave me this

Hmmm what exactly does this mean?!
02-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Levin - Trueno Questions
I think that is one of Toyota's famous "some details not shown" schematics, since the real circuit also goes through the ignition switch. Not shown.

Toyota has or had a bad habit of showing partial circuits and drawing them a little differently from "western" conventions.

I think the purpose of that circuit is to show you that the DOOR SWITCH is involved. When your lights are on, but you have shut the engine, the lights stay on and raised up. When the driver's side door is opened, that switch trips the light retainer relay which then shuts all the lights and drops them.

Not shown or made clear from the partial schematic. And assuming that schematic is for your car. Again, Levin, Trueno, or different geographies will have different circuits depending on which lights they have and any local laws about how they may have to be configured.

Unless you imported your car from Japan, the Japanese domestic parts catalogue is the wrong place for you to be shopping.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
02-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Levin - Trueno Questions
The only problem is where to find a Euro electrical scheme for the Trueno version! Confused

EDIT

GOT a question.

Anyone here with a EURO Trueno spec would know how to answer this question.

When you turn off your car and remove the key, what happens to the lights?!

In my Levin the lights are independent from the engine...

That's probably why that "light retainer relay" is used only in the US, when they shut down the car, the lights go off.

Regards
02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Levin - Trueno Questions
EURO Trueno spec would be very very very very hard to find since they were never made. Wink

02-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Levin - Trueno Questions
"That's probably why that "light retainer relay" is used only in the US, when they shut down the car, the lights go off. "
Nope, the US models don't work that way. When you shut the engine or take the key out, NOTHING CHANGES on the headlights.
If you sequentially shut the engine and then OPEN THE DRIVER'S DOOR, the headlights turn out and close, when the headlight switch is in the normal (3rd) position. If it is in the fourth position, the headlights will remain UP but turn OFF.

This is, by the way, considered terribly odd for headlights in the US. Traditional US headlights were never wired up to the ignition, you turned them on/off manually with a headlight switch. This because sometimes you want to shut the engine, but keep the lights on.

Now, with all thenew cars having fancy headlights, automatic headlights, delayed headlights that stay on for xx seconds after you get out...I have no idea what would be normal anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop - New Haltech ECU & Couple of questions 20valver 8 304 04-25-2024 12:39 PM
Last Post: 20valver
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 4,322 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Brake Bias Questions mad.matt 10 9,799 01-03-2019 04:54 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,634 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  Suspension questions leon205gti 17 13,255 04-30-2016 09:26 PM
Last Post: krullibull