L.S.D
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
L.S.D
hi all,
I've been reasearching on the L.S.D issue recently, and i couldn't find any good information on it on the web, so here i come to ask help from u guys~~!

how can i differentiate 1 way, 1.5 way L.S.D without open up the axel??? n how can i know if there's a lsd running when i open up the axel? does the axel with lsd n without lsd look the same? coz i've searched http://www.toyodiy.com on the AE85 axel n AE86 axel, it look same....i mean on the inside of the axel....

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
09-23-2009, 10:40 AM
L.S.D
There's a difference in chassis code for LSd and non-LSD equiped cars.
Axles with LSD often have a sticker that says LSD-oil only.
When you open the axle up you should be able to spot the LSD easily. You dont see any gears on an LSD, unlike the open diff, where you can spot the spider gears easily.

Otherwise look up the usual test methods (one wheel in grass, one on road, then try spinning them.. if your only spinning the wheel without grip then you dont have an LSD ...unless it is broken).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
L.S.D
AE85 (SR5 included) and AE86 diffs are different: the AE85/SR5 is smaller and is only 6.38 inch instead of the 6.7 inch AE86.

Another way to find out is to look for the transmission and axle code on the vin.
It will be something like (S or T just in front of this number) xx3/T50

The first number is the transmission code (should be T50) and the 2nd number is the axle code. Only the last digit is the one you should be looking for:
2 or 4 = no LSD (AE85 & SR5)
3 or 5 = LSD (AE86 and GTS)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - L.S.D]
09-23-2009, 01:28 PM
L.S.D
hhhm.....thanks for the replies, but that doesn't solve my problem, my car is direct imported from japan, the chasis code is AE85, which originally shouldn't come with L.S.D nor the rear disc brake. But before i buy the car, the engine has already transplanted to AE92 4age 16v (small port), the rear axle comes with disc brake, the axle casing looks like an AE86 L.S.D axle.

can someone show me the photo of a LSD equiped diff n the one that has no LSD? that would help greatly
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
L.S.D
AE86 LSD:

S13 open diff:
Open diff of the AE86 looks not much different than the S13.

As you can see the LSD is a closed housing (contains the clutch assembly) while the open diff is much simpler in design (open) with four connected gears.

The axle itself doesn't say anything: Djexor's car is an AE86 with the 6.7 inch differential, however his car does have an open diff from the factory.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-23-2009, 05:23 PM
L.S.D
Thank you Banpei, that clear things up, now that i'm sure the diff has LSD equiped, now here comes another problem, how can i know if it's a 1 way, 1.5way or 2 way LSD? any reffrence on that?
09-23-2009, 05:52 PM
L.S.D
Why do you care?
You can tell by looking at the ramp angles of the pressure plates in the lsd.
Only aftermarket LSD's are 2-way, stock toyota is 1 or 1,5 way...not sure.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-23-2009, 06:22 PM
L.S.D
Ivan141 Wrote:Why do you care?
You can tell by looking at the ramp angles of the pressure plates in the lsd.
Only aftermarket LSD's are 2-way, stock toyota is 1 or 1,5 way...not sure.

Just wish to know more bout my car Smile so that when someone ask me, i have the answer for them.

N because i dont want to be cheated by those used part seller, they claimed their diff comes with 2 way lsd, which i dont know how to differentiate it.

Thanks for the information though. Hurray!
09-23-2009, 08:40 PM
L.S.D
OEM is 1.5way, aftermarket are 1.5 and 2way.