Just poking around in here...
07-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Hey everyone, I'm just here to source some info about these cars.

Here is some background for me.
I'm in Texas, USA.
I currently drive a single turbo FD RX-7 making 400rwhp built with road racing in mind not drifting(Not selling it, just adding to the collection). This does not mean I'm in any way wealthy. I have an opportunity to pick up a 3 door/hatchback, panda colored Hachi with original 4age. I intend to use it as one of my daily drivers in tandem with my Mustang, as well as an occasional fun drift car.
I understand that these cars are not powerful and have absolutely no chance to match my current car.

That said,

I'm in serious need of your help. I'm having a hard time sourcing info and potential parts for these cars. Is it really difficult to do so? I'm mostly interested in stock replacement parts for the interior and any small upgrades for the motor. I want it to be reliable and slightly drift worthy.

I don't want a pro drift car, just something that can slide in the dry. Do these cars have the power to do that? Any slight mods that can make it just powerful enough?

And over all, from the bottom of you hearts, truthfully, am I wasting my time thinking about this car?

I'm sure you get a lot of these kinds of posts, thank you for your time.
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2010, 09:58 AM
hi, welcome here Smile

hmm 400 rwhp FD Big Grin

about the AE86..
stock interiour parts are very hard to find (special in good condition)
but upgrade engine/suspension parts won't be hard to find Wink

'87 levin coupé
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Just poking around in here...]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Aftermarket parts are plentiful for AE86's. As Patrick said, interior bits can be more difficult to source, although a lot is available from toyota if you are willing to pay (lets be honest) ridiculous prices. As a general rule: plastics are not too hard to find used, but seats, carpets etc are more difficult to source in good condition.

About the way you want to use it: I dont think you are too far off the mark. Just dont go into it thinking it will be an easy car to drift. Stock power is enough if you combine it with a decent suspension, a good LSD is also important. The whole charm of driving it like this is that you need to really work at it to keep it drifting, as opposed to just mashing the accelerator. Which is why many drifters call it such a good car to learn drifting in.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
what they said Smile
to get it drifting you don't need alot as long as most parts on the car are still healty. Aftermarket bushings are easy to get and not very expensive and firm up the car quite well considering your bushes are quite worn after 25 years... some lowering springs won't do any harm either and regarding LSD in my humble opinion a good rebuild of the stock one if it's not lockig properly anymore is all that's needed (there are some aftermarket rebuild kits as well to have a little higher lock rating)...if you don't do a lot of highway driving or don't care about high rpm you could also invest in a shorter CWP to help torque at the wheels abit Smile

for interior stuff your best bet are probably people build there AE86 into racecars as they usualy rip it out...

AE86 ex-daily
07-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Thank you for your quick responses.

Would you guys say the car is reliable?
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
IMHO very very reliable, assuming it's been take good care of - they take lots of abuse and even more if treated well Smile

AE86 ex-daily
07-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Sweet. Can you point me in the direction of some info on years and models. From what I understand the Hachi is not only a '86 but a '85 as well?
07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
the AE86 was produced from 1983 to 1987

they came in

trueno coupe and hatch (popup lights)

levin coupe and hatch (normal lights)

there are also a zenki and kouki version of them, it switched in '85 or '86 not sure on that one..

they also came with a sunroof, power windows and mirrors, aircon, powersteering, and i think most of them came also with a oem LSD

'87 levin coupé
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Just poking around in here...]
07-11-2010, 03:13 PM
83-85 zenki, 85-87 kouki

most of them were with oem lsd, transmission code is t283. t282 doesn't have one.

All of this and many more is explained on home page of this site.
07-11-2010, 03:30 PM
t285 also has a lsd. But LSD's can be bought and put in. Don't always look at the year because fronts can be changed.

In the states the AE86 chassis number is AE88 for the GTS model. In europe alsmost none where sold without lsd. While in Japan / AU and US the SR5 (budget) model was available.

Once you got the chassis most can be bought and build even if you buy a SR5 model.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Report website problems here! banpei 193 255,289 07-26-2019 11:43 PM
Last Post: banpei
  AE86 EUROMEET - 2015 (Just an idea...) pack 17 16,403 12-10-2015 10:29 AM
Last Post: Martynas
  Not been messed around at all totta Crolla 6 7,881 04-23-2014 03:26 PM