Is this diff whine and r&p or drive shaft bearing proble
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
right this noise has been like this since i got the car from the docks.

i initially thought it was a screwed wheel bearing but its not. checked for play for all 4 corners on ramp etc. nothing

definitely coming form the rear of car and been told if its a whine then its the ring and pinion. I recently looked into cost of rebuild etc and well........its not cheap if it isn't the problem.

dont know whether to change the diff oil to see if it makes a difference? but been told its pointless, do i carry on driving like that? will i fuck up more bits and cost me even more money to fix?

thing is i really want to find out if it is the ring and pin first before going ahead and booking it in as I dont want to waste the guy's time.

So............ only way of really doing it is filming with a camcorder as I just drive along some carriageways (nothing drifty i'm afraid not even anything to watch apart from the back seat etc) to capture the noise. the noise you hear is not my exhaust or anything as the noise starts at about 30mph and continues to get louder, whether it be on or off throttle, in or out of gear, or clutch in or out.

please listen and thoughts pls?

http://dl10.megauploads.org/download.php?id=B73D2045

cheers!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is this diff whine and r&am...ing proble]
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
oli,

Your engine makes to much noice *grin*

Seriously though, I don't hear the wine very much over the engine noice, you may want to try making a movie driving at the same speed but in a higher gear so the engine noice is less audiable.

My diff whines aswell but only at some speeds. But my engine is alot more quiet nowadays so I hear it betterSad It most often is the ring and pinion, mind you its not the LSD unit itself, just the R&P that needs to be replaced and installed properly. Still is an expensive job and if you follow the R&P thread somewhere else on this forum, a real risk to getting the whine back if you like drifting exists.

One thing that might be worth a try, allthough nobody has tried it yet, is to have the R&P readjusted. If the R&P itself is still good but just not set right anymore it may work.

As for damage, I've driven around with a whining diff for a year or 2 without any troubles, so has Ivan, so have loads of others. Its more a matter of how much you care about your hearing (trust me, enough years of this whining and that problem will go away by itself *grin*). Offcourse the R&P does wear slightly faster but seeing eventually you need to replace it anyways, and since asfar as I know now other parts are likely to get damaged.....

Oil changes are always a good idea btw, it wont take the whining away but clean oil does help prolong the life of the gears and more importantly, it helps you check the oil itself, if there are (big) metal bits in it, there may be more wrong with your diff and taking it appart for inspection may be a good idea. But if the oil is relatively clean, it takes away that worry atleast somewhat.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Truckers use thicker gear oil to help combat noisy diffs...but your LSD probably wont like it unless you use some kind of LSD additive in the oil.
I've been driving around on mux's old and very noise diff for over 1 1/2 year now, still no problems...that's nearly 3 1/2 years of duty (and many 10.000's of km's) without failure. Just be sure not to overheat the damn thing because it probably will break down if you push it..so to speak..

I would have someone check the backlash on the ringear, and the contact pattern of the teeth.. then if the contact patch looks acceptable reset backlash to factory spec.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2006, 10:19 AM
oli, if you hear whinning while off throttle, i don't think that noise comes from the ring and pinion. My ring and pinion whines a lot, and it is only heard when i'm going on throttle above 30mph.

i would say wheel bearings... but if you say that they are all ok... i really don't know.

Good luck!
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
thanks for the info and reply, especially this early.

Anyway the noise you hear isnt all the engine noise as when I got up to speed I let the car coast (out of gear) and the noise is still there. it does sound like engine noise but its definitely coming from the rear and not one side or the other too, but somewhere in the middle.

I was hoping that the majority could listen and instantly say its the ring and pinion. then I knwo waht exactly needs to be done to fix the noise. Probably get it done properly too - all bearings changed and set up properly.

I'm going to listen to the file again and try to describe when I'm off throttle and out of gear. REally appreciate your time in helping diagnose.

THanks, any more comments welcomed.

08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
at about 29 /30 seconds thats when i'm not accelerating and coasting for abit. that noise you hear is not the engine noise but the roar I'm trying to identify. Crying

08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
oli,

guess we'd have to hear this for real live, cause what I was hearing in that vid was mostly engine noise or what sounds like engine noise. Sure you don't just have a way to load exhaust, thats in the rear aswellBig Grin
Then again when you are not accelerating the noise of the engine should die outBig Grin

You could try recording while at speed having the clutch pressed and the gas depressed so the rpm drops to around 1kBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
yeah it does sound like engine noise - sounds like I'm really really driving it hard.

Tha car doesnt ahve an aftermarket exahust just a tiny pea shooter that i think is the standard one. it does have aftermarket extractor/exhaust manifold but what is strange is the noise continues regardless of accelerator or in gear - hence why i thought its caused by the movment of the car i.e. when it rolls down the hill and i put out of gear etc it still makes the roar. Which is why initially i thought it was a bearing...

I think my next step is jacking the car up on axle stands and try and listen to it while wheels spinning but stationary, maybe record it as well, so at least i can get nearer to the source

i would like to hear a sound of whining ring and pinion problem to see if it sounds like what I'm hearing, just to compare.

08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
yo mr W, bring it over to our end and we will have a listen for you. or bring it to silverstone at the 8th and Bro Will will tell you what's the problem. it's better to hear it from real than over the net.

i have the whining noise from the rnp for over 2 years now, it's annoying when driving on the motorway. when i replace the lsd i have a good look at it and the teeth is already worn and marked. there's nothing we can do about it except replace it with new parts.

LONG LIVE TOYOTA!!
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
One option that no one has considered yet: the driveshaft bearing...that bigass ring that it runs in. It failed on adomz's car too, and it's something that would be noisy regardless of accel/decel. I cant listen to the vid here at work, but I do know that ring and pinions mostly get noisy on acceleration and part throttle. Most are quiet when coasting. The sound is also much more a mechanical whine than a rumble like you would expect from a bearing.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,798 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Steering shaft issue Ryo 15 11,353 11-19-2018 09:52 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Gearbox and Diff options MIGGZFSU 35 24,780 03-26-2017 12:00 AM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  20v mains & big end bearing izanagi 9 9,293 12-26-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Final drive calculation. Aram 31 29,374 12-24-2014 03:08 PM
Last Post: Uzelac