Is this diff whine and r&p or drive shaft bearing proble
08-07-2006, 08:50 PM
oli, check the gearbox mount integrity.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
How do the wheels feel when turning them on axle stands? They should feel smooth, not lumpy. Also I think there shouldnt be much play in the wheel (let me rephrase that: any play you can feel by hand is bad).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-08-2006, 11:47 AM
When on the stands and car is started, when I turn the wheels it feels ok and spins freely with some effort, but i think i recall some metal on metal scraping? sounded like coming from the wheels (both sides)

When left in gear and spinning on its own, the wheels look like they wobble when you look directly from behind. When driving I dont get or feel any bad vibrations. The noise doesnt cause severe vibrations felt in the car like unbalanced wheels do.

thinking out loud, what are the symtoms of bent halfshafts??

also was looking up Adomz thread and he had a problem with his centre bearing on his driveshaft and really wanted him to look at this thread his comments! and I have pm'ed him but I still dont see any input from him. Confused

I'm pretty stuck as to what else to do apart from taking it to someone to find out the problem....

Just to confirm does it normally get that warm around transmission tunnel!?!? even after a 10 mins drive?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is this diff whine and r&am...ing proble]
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes the exhaust runs past the transmission tunnel so it gets warm. I'm thinking you might just have badly worn wheel bearings but I cant be sure really. Halfshafts dont bend as far as I know, they either twist or break,

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-14-2006, 12:03 PM
well still dont know the problem.

after a few other comments about the noise from the video, they think its metal on metal noise like teeth meshing, so an oil change is on the cards to check for big lumps of metal. however also been told if it was the diff the noise would be controllable by the accelerator (which it is not as out of gear on a slope the vibration noise is still the same) so most money lies on the centreprop bearing.

Will update and might just get a single piece shaft to see if that works as i want one anyway Hurray!

08-18-2006, 11:59 AM
got it on stands again to check the propshaft for any noticeable play. There is a slight movment up and down but not huge amounts and the only noise is the rubber gaitor squeeking a bit.

I have identified like a metal on metal scraping noise and sounds like its coming from the diff (long metal probe and ear on one end and pole on the diff - louder while the pole is on the diff) while on stands and in first.

So..... thoughts are diff and going to get a big injector plunger thing to fill it with diff oil before i drain the diff.

will check and inspect the oil as well so will see Confused

08-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Quote:When on the stands and car is started, when I turn the wheels it feels ok and spins freely with some effort, but i think i recall some metal on metal scraping? sounded like coming from the wheels (both sides)

Rear discs & pads? Maybe they have a slight amount of drag?

Quote:When left in gear and spinning on its own, the wheels look like they wobble when you look directly from behind. When driving I dont get or feel any bad vibrations. The noise doesnt cause severe vibrations felt in the car like unbalanced wheels do.

Do the wheels have hub centric spacers on them? Could be slightly off centre. You wont notice it a huge amount vibration wise but you could see possibly see it when spinning

Quote:I'm pretty stuck as to what else to do apart from taking it to someone to find out the problem....

If I wasnt so busy mate I would nip over for a bucthers and a play, 2 minds and all that. Sure it isnt anything uber serious. Just do what I do, keep abusing it until you have a catastrophic failure, then fix it Tongue

Quote:Just to confirm does it normally get that warm around transmission tunnel!?!? even after a 10 mins drive?

The N2 comes wth underfloor heating, after a few mins driving the floor pan is toasty warm! Dont worry about that mate.

Cheers

James

http://www.eight-six.co.uk - read the blog!

UK AE86 Forum - http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...ghtsixcouk
08-18-2006, 09:57 PM
James

you know you are welcome to have a look - really should have mentioned it when at combe considering we helpedsolve some problems that day Hurray!

08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
update

changed the oil and what come out was like clear honey... Sad so oil was fine.

i also noticed a metal on meatl scraping noise when i hand turn the rear wheels.

i turn it 360 degrees and for 270 degrees of it, there is some resistance (maybe light scraping?) to it and for 90 degrees of the rotation it is smooth. nos with this in mind i think its the diff as the gears inside must lead to this... Banging head or not? thoughts pls?!

08-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I can't find the movie i made when my diff broke down, and i can't see yours, but i can tell you my experiences when my diff broke.

It looked like this when i opened it up:

It sounded just like a supercharger on full throttle, a very loud howl Smile
On half throttle it sounded like metal to metal scraping sound.
Whilst running out with no throttle, it rattled like HELL.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,833 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Steering shaft issue Ryo 15 11,466 11-19-2018 09:52 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Gearbox and Diff options MIGGZFSU 35 24,922 03-26-2017 12:00 AM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  20v mains & big end bearing izanagi 9 9,360 12-26-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Final drive calculation. Aram 31 29,439 12-24-2014 03:08 PM
Last Post: Uzelac