09-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Is drifting really faster?
[beavis "cornholio" mode] Are you threatning me? [/beavis "cornholio" mode]

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2005, 11:13 AM
nmwisima Wrote:The principle man, is what Ivan wrote at the beggining:
You DO NOT go faster when you 're sliding!
The F1 cars are made so that they dont slide 'cause (to put it in the most simple way) seconds in its race are hiden on GRIP.
Grip is the matter in all races, even when Mika Saloonen did what now is called "the Skandinavian Flick" (turning the car to the oppossite direction of the corner, before the corner, using the centrifugal force to bit vehicle's inertia).

NoHachi Wrote:I'm sorry, but just from reading this discussion it is obvious that most of you have not been in a car on the track, pushing it to the limit.

I belong in "the most of them" or not? Tongue
Becarefull I 'm always ready for a fight Evil

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is drifting really faster?] http://www.jdmbits.com
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
NoHachi Wrote:Grip, drift whatever you call it, when you go fast it is just a big grey area.

I think we all agree on that NoHachi. But, the question here is purely theoretical. A matter of physics really.

Besides, even if we resolve the issue of "drift or grip" (which IMHO is impossible and pointless) the best we could do is try to make out the cars physics while driving and then try to make minute changes in driving style, braking point, turn-in, etc to incorporate the theory.

Just like the Drift Bible. We've all watched it and I'm shure we all understand what each example means. But will we perform on the track? I doubt it. Performance on track, be it drift or grip, solely depends on seat time and paying attention to better drivers. For example, whenever I meet a driver who's better than me at the track, I give them the keys and take the passenger seat to watch and learn.
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2005, 12:25 PM
We could talk about this the whole day, watch a bunch of video's and you still wouldn't understand what really gets a car around a corner quickly. Driving really is a skill, something that (unless you are one of the lucky few who is born with the talent) is develloped over many many hours of seat time.
I have been beaten by middle aged people who just started racing because their club once did a trackday sort of thing. They take things easy but have gotten better and better over time. Now they are 5 seconds quicker a lap in a car that is vastly inferior.

For the heck of it I'll say it one more time..UNLESS you are a rally driver:
Drifting=gay, Grip rules!

:wink:

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Dorito86 Wrote:For example, whenever I meet a driver who's better than me at the track, I give them the keys and take the passenger seat to watch and learn.

Ok, man. I 'll give you a ride Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

09-07-2005, 12:38 PM
nmwisima Wrote:Ok, man. I 'll give you a ride Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Typical overconfident Greek who thinks he knows better....

Tongue
09-07-2005, 12:59 PM
no, typical Greek who KNOWS better!

09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
nmwisima and NoHachi are confirming the same thing at the end - slip on the track is a speed killer. So I dont see the reason for arguing Wave
It is obvious too, that on road with bad grip the drift is helping to keep the speed (WRC). So I'm thinking - its all about the braking. If braking can be done fast and accurate - so this is the way to go in and out of the turn with the highest speed. If the surface is dirty, so no grip - braking is useless and drifting is helping to keep the speed high.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
We are not arguing.

But this bastard said.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

09-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Theres no point in saying stuff like F1 cars dont drift so, drift is slow. F1 cars CAN'T drift becasue they rely heavily on downforce, and aerodynamics, going sideways will cut this out, the tyres will lose grip and the car will spin. Also F1 rules, currently ban the use of proper slicks, these grooved ones they use, are awful when the car starts letting go, and slides.

In an 86, the fastest line will often include alot of drift, as its a live axle car, so inherently oversteers near the limit.

Watch Keiichi Tsuchiya, when he's grip racing 86's, he's often getting big oversteer exiting corners.

Keiichi Tsuchiya in his racing days was famous for using quite alot of drift techniques in his grip driving, its alot to do with driver preference, and how they like their cars set up, understeery, or oversteery.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drifting with stock power on the dry AshCampbell 47 54,895 05-23-2012 02:22 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  Best setup for drifting... Okami 68 84,326 01-19-2012 11:20 PM
Last Post: Okami
  Drifting Lelystad New Vid check bottom Okami 9 15,919 03-14-2011 10:47 PM
  DRIFTING IN ROMANIA spawns 5 8,846 09-09-2010 01:32 PM
Last Post: spawns
  Indie feature documentary on drifting – calls for stories emptykingdom 2 8,210 05-18-2010 12:05 PM