Ignition coil
05-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Ignition coil
Hmm..weird. There are 2 types of distributor commonly found on 4age's..one with a green plug and one with a yellow plug. I think the yellow one is stock on ae86's. Might be some mix&match between 4age's of different years. I read that the green plug ones can be made to work by joining two wires together. What I see in those pictures is not exactly a reliable way of making a connection.
How have you checked for spark when the problem occurs? I would try to attach a stroboscope timing-gun and see if the timing is right. Then check if there is any signal to the sparkplug leads when you have just driven it hard.

I used to have a similar problem with the engine not starting well when it was warm. Turned out to be the distributor that was installed one teeth off.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Ignition coil
Its so weird how the wires on my car are Ivan. I bought it like this, just didnt take care of the problem so far, because I'm driving it only when I go to BG and because the problem occurs in not more than 20% of the starts. The other times the engine bites and starts from a half turn.

The connector on the distributor I have is the yellow one. Anyway - 4 wires are going out, but the two white ones are connected together, so 3 reach the connector - a white, a blue and a red.
The white and the red are cut and connected across.. means red to white, white to red. When I connect them the right way, the car gets rough idle and stalls.
My guess is, because of the different ignition (6 instead of 5 wires, connector colour grey and different number), they had to change this too. I'm planing to change the distributor too, but first want to check if this is the reason.

I checked that the when the problem occurs, the spark is missing. The sparks are new iridium NGK so this is not the reason. It is important to say, that when running - the engine is working as new... no probs at all... smooth idle, revs very well.

Btw. how do you believe the wrong timing could affect the starting in this way?

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Ignition coil
When I just had my second engine installed the car would start and run, and be driveable too. But sometimes when the engine was still warm it would just not turn.. but this is more a problem of the starter engine almost stalling while you're trying to start. Turned out to be wrong timing, the ignition came way to early, igniting the fuel so early that it was trying to send the pistons back the wrong way.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Ignition coil
Does anyone have this part i was looking for? For sale? I cant find it anywhere...
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Ignition coil
any practical tips for the exact installation of the distributor so we won't do it any teeth off ??????

AE86 FANATIC!!!
06-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Ignition coil
Anyone here from Danmark that sells the part? Please PM Thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smallport coil totta Crolla 2 1,349 08-12-2022 11:03 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,974 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  How to test coil with igniter DJexor 2 7,007 03-22-2018 10:01 AM
Last Post: Project D
  extracted freedom ecu 16v ignition map ditn 7 8,149 08-22-2016 10:01 AM
Last Post: ditn
  4AGE 20v Ignition Lead Length mad.matt 3 6,179 10-01-2014 03:43 PM
Last Post: mad.matt