Grip/ Proffrsional Track Coilovers
09-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Sorry to be an hater, but..
Serious racing demand serious money.

I don't know an car which has less then 10000 euro in suspension to be on podium in any semi serious competition. For serious ones that figure goes 2-3-4 times up.

To me it sounds that is way over planned budget. In that case keep those D2 and have a loads of seat time, gather money and sponsors and "go for it" when both you and car are 95+% prepared.

Anything less and you will end up dissapointed.
Find all posts by this user
09-15-2016, 01:42 AM
(09-14-2016 02:53 PM)Uzelac Wrote:  Sorry to be an hater, but..
Serious racing demand serious money.

I don't know an car which has less then 10000 euro in suspension to be on podium in any semi serious competition. For serious ones that figure goes 2-3-4 times up.

To me it sounds that is way over planned budget. In that case keep those D2 and have a loads of seat time, gather money and sponsors and "go for it" when both you and car are 95+% prepared.

Anything less and you will end up dissapointed.
Which brand do you sugest ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
09-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Reiger, Ohlins, Proflex, TRD
TRD being the budget option by comparison but TRD has a proven reckord in track racing and was designed for the application. Most of the range is still available in Japan.

An analogue brain in a digital World
10-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Penske, AST, Moton just to add a few to the list of manufacturers of quality components. Custom work required to adapt basically any race damper to the corolla front suspension. Rear is easier to convert.

Expect to spend at least 1k eur per corner just for the dampers alone. Add springs, the before mentioned custom work to adapt the front, and other hardware on top of that and quite fast you are looking at 2k eur per corner.
Then several spring sets, valving, shims, software and so on and then the most expensive part: hire someone that knows what he is doing when doing adjustments.

Honestly though, if you are going to be racing seriously and the budget has "no limits", your best bet would be to seek a pro-shop doing racing suspensions and let them help you out instead of going on a spending spree buying random bits and hoping that they'd work.

Although reading the first post kind of smells like you're looking for an adjustable suspension for the sake of adjustability...

And the disclaimer: I'm not a "pro" racer myself, but I've been around such people & companies long enough to know that when you step outside the casual weekend trackday kind of racing, things get somewhat expensive really fast.

Kajoba Works - TIG-welding & custom fabrication services
http://www.kajobaworks.com
http://www.facebook.com/kajobaworks
+358458872222
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2016, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 07:20 PM by Project D.)
to add a few more:
Bilstein (B8.)
MCA (red or gold)
BOS Engineering
10-15-2016, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2016 08:30 PM by NoHachi.)
Given all this, a well sorted and proven cheapish solution like TRD will see you a LONG LONG way.

Suspension is a knowledge intensive industry. That means that a small but enthusiastic shop that does 5 years of development work on a set of cheap shocks will do a better job then one of the above mentioned companies that essentially take a guess at proper setup. I was sideways involved in the development of a set of AST shocks and it took AST at least 3 iterations to get the suspension in the right ballpark. We then changed that exact setup over to some hella expensive 3 way adjustable aluminium bodied shocks and had to start over again..in fact, that 3 way setup never felt as good as the old steel single adjustables because the canisters added a lot of hysteresis into the mix and weren't very consistent.

With equal development time the more expensive suspension setups are easier to drive and will shave a second or two of your time. For most people it takes a year or two to get to the point where those two seconds become important. For people starting with an AE86 it can be much longer because you have zero reference of what the car is really capable off.

If you are handy with aero, those two years could become 3 or 4 easily. Its rediculous how fast you can go with rock hard suspension and an aero package.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Trackday with my 86 at mornay track makkuro 2 4,432 04-27-2019 03:44 PM
Last Post: makkuro
  Wheel alignment settings for the track Martynas 9 11,575 11-23-2016 02:10 PM
Last Post: Martynas
  AE-86 Track/Race car Spoiler/GT Wing Size and shape hachirokkos 5 10,207 11-26-2015 04:24 AM
Last Post: asyrigos
  My grip trackday footage with my 86 makkuro 1 4,739 03-09-2012 10:08 AM
Last Post: makkuro
  Grobnik track day - AE86 inside ZaX 2 5,746 11-17-2011 02:57 PM
Last Post: ZaX